1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc and DivX

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by davidr912, Feb 7, 2004.

1. davidr912

davidr912 Member

Ok to the point... I am using TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus. I was using the free download version but it expired. I am converting avi to mpeg2 then using TMPGEncDVD Authoring to make a DVD. I was able to do this on the free trail version after reading about some setting I needed to change. Well I got ride of the trail and installed full version and now I am running into the same problem I had witht the trail version before I made the setting changes. I don't remember what the changes were though. I have bumped up the VFAPI settings to DirectShow to 2. I think I have narrowed it down to a DivX problem. Like I said I was able to convert all my DivX before. Here is the message after trying to do a batch job:

J:New MoviesThe Lion King 2 (Dvd Divx).mpg
    Format: DVD for NTSC (North America and Japan) (MPEG-2 720x480 29.97fps CBR 6948kbps, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps)
    Video: J:New MoviesThe Lion King 2 (Dvd Divx).avi
    Audio: J:New MoviesThe Lion King 2 (Dvd Divx).avi

Result: Read error occurred at address 00013519 of module 'TMPGEnc.exe' with 2065682C
    Dealing time: 00:00:00

Here is the error just trying to do one movie at a time:
    Read error occurred at address 0012F40 of module 'TMPGEnc.exe' with 47455049.

Help Please!!

Dave

2. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

Try uninstalling TMPGEnc, then re-install.

3. maddogg

maddogg Member

i am having a problem with the tmpgenc program. i took a xvid movie and turned it into a mpeg . i then played it back and there was no sound. i am trying to make this into a dvd. any help would be appreciated.

4. davidr912

davidr912 Member

maddogg. I think you need to download and install AC3. Here is the address to download it. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

My problem is I can't even convert the avi to mpeg. I know someone out there knows how to do it. I did it once before. I guess i'll keep wworking on it. I did uninstall and reinstall it. No Luck.

5. maddogg

maddogg Member

i have downloaded the ac3, thanks. as for your problem, i do not have that problem because when tmpg won;t work i use a program called cucuso. it can convert to avi,mpeg,and dvd.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

This error comes up all the Time with downloaded Files..First go to "options" to "Enviromental settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and raise the "Direct show to "2" this Might get Rid of the Error But if it doesn"t then You can easilly fix it by Useing "Virtual-Dub" to Frameserve the DivX file with the AC3 audio to Tmpgenc and it will encode the audio also but you will need to install a Specific AC3 decoder .....You can Get Virtual-Dub and the AC3 decoder that lets you encode AC3 source files in Tmpgenc here :
    Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

AC3ACM Decompressor
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

If you don"t know how to frameserve then let me Know and I"ll explain it ...it is Pretty Easy...Cheers

7. epdm

epdm Member

DavidR,

In regards to your problem. I had a similar problem with a XVID of Kill Bill. I used DVD2SVCD which envokes TMPGenc todo the final encoding. Anyway I discovered that I the same "read error" though with a different address than yours. In fact I tried several times and found that the error occured always at the same position in my file.

The reason is that (in my case) the video-stream had damaged frames (at the point where TMPGEnc went wrong). I also discovered the problem ONLY occured when using VBR (2pass) which is the second setting in TMPGEnc. The problem did NOT occur when using CQ (Constant Quality) encoding and CQ_VBR (AKA Automatic variable bitrate). Needles to say that all the solutions said inhere(and other forums) like fidling with the Enviromental settings or re-installing the software does absolutely nothing! I also discovered that using CQ made the second BIN-file much too large to fit on a 80min. CD. Although DVD2SVCD shouldn't have any problems with this movie since it's only +105 minutes. The standard bitratesettings worked flawless before when I used DVD instead of an AVI file. In fact using the 4th (last) setting CQ_VBR produced smaller files and I was able to burn this movie without problems on 2 CD's like it should.

I also tried the following. When using TMPGEnc directly without DVD2SVCD. I found in the MPEG settings panel that there are 2 2pass VBR settings. Look at Rate control mode. When set at 2pass VBR click on settings and change Max pass from 2pass to 2pass (old type). This also let me encode the afformentioned file without errors???

Regards,

EPDM