1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tmpgenc Audio Problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ajaround, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ajaround

ajaround Member

I use tmpgenc plus 2.5 to not only encode avi's into mpegs, but also to split the mpeg's when im finished encoding. My problem is, whenever I split the mpeg into two files, the first one always runs about twenty seconds longer than I set it. Example: If the mpeg is one hour long, and I split it exactly down the middle, Thirty minutes each...The first half always reads thirty minutes, twenty seconds when i am finished. and although I can see the last twenty seconds, I cant hear them. The audio goes blank for those extra seconds. This is something new, as I have been splitting for over a year with this not happening. I cant think of anything I have recently installed to cause this and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail. thanks for any help.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Tmpgenc"s "Merge & Cut" Sucks...If you do not make your Cut on an I Frame then Tmpgenc will Make the Cut at the Next Closest I Frame but it will Cut the audio were you want which makes it so the audio and video are not cut in the same Spot which can cause Problems Like the ones you are haveing and you can also get Sync problems....

I suggest you use something like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" to edit your Mpeg files cuz it is a frame accurate Mpeg editor were the one in Tmpgenc isn"t.....

Cheers

3. ajaround

ajaround Member

Thanks Minion, I am not sure what an " I frame" is, but as you suggested, I tried Womble Mpeg2VCR, but the tutorial that I found wasnt very up to date, and the finished file was unwatchable. It was very unsmooth and choppy. Do you know of a tutorial that can show me how to merge and cut with Womble Mpeg2VCR?

4. carefree

carefree Member

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Mpeg files are Made up of B P and I Frames, Each GOP (Group of Pictures) has a Number of B and P Frames but only one I Frame per GOP, this I frame is were all cuts and Joins have to be Made.....
    If your GOP is 15 Frames Long for Instance then that means you can Only make cuts at every 15 Frames or every Half second or so....
    When useing the Editor in tmpgenc if you try to Make a Cut that isn"t on an I Frame then the cut will be made at the Next Closest I Frame but the Audio will be cut were you set it to be Cut which means the audio and Video aren"t being cut at the same spot which cuases the Problems you are haveing....

I hope this clears it up a Bit....Cheers