1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tmpgenc audio/video not in sync

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by anth45, Oct 31, 2003.

1. anth45

anth45 Guest

where do i start, well finally got a decent computer that works properly. ive put some avi files thro nerovision express to encode and burn to dvd, burned onto dvd but audio and video are not in sync. at the start of film everythings alright it gradually goes out so i tried using tmpgenc to first encode the avis to mpeg ready for authoring but the same thing happens with the audio/video sync. man this is starting to really annoy me ive have wasted a lot of dvds please some one help me get out of this mess.

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi, i had similair problems too, the only way i solved it was to use a sperate audio source by stripping it out with virtualdub fhttp://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm it worked for me all the time after that.
    Hope it helps, i know how frustrating it is :-(

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

there is a seting in tmpgenc in the templates folder! its 2 folders in! called unlock that could do it i have read and used bfore for this!

Thx...

edit:

if i remember rightly you click the first template you need say pal then go back and click unlock template!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  4. Minion

Minion Senior member

What Does the "Unlock.mfc" template have to do with Audio/Video sync Problems???
    There are a Few reasons why your Files could be out of Sync after encodeing...One reason is that you have encoded your Avi file to Mpeg useing a Different frame rate as the AVI file..In Tmpgenc you have to encode the AVI to mpeg useing the Source Frame rate, so if your AVI file is 25fps you have to encode it to 25fps and the same with 23.97fps and 29.97fps (Unless you are useing IVTC or 3:2 Pulldown)..
    Another reason could be that your AVI files frame rate is a Little Off, Meaning that instead of it being for instance 23.97fps it could be 23.985 or 23.952 so when it gets encode to the right frame rate the audio goes out of Sync...It can also be any number of other things but without more info it will be hard ro figure out....Cheers

5. anth45

anth45 Guest

id like to thank every one who replied to my problem im extracting the audio from the avi using virtualdub then im going to put it threw tmpgenc ill get back to you all and hopefully it will of worked. thanks

6. anth45

anth45 Guest

how do i change the frame rate output in tmpgenc

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

What has the unlock template got to do with sync?

Ok, what i did was follow a guide here somewhere (i try to find it?) to convert ntsc to pal region in the process it said use the unlock template over the top of the pal template to get the right sound sync so it didnt keep the excact size or something , sorry its been a while now! but it was for sound whatever it did...

it was just a thought as i cant truly remember the whole process of ntsc to pal as it was a big operation...

sorry if i was wrong! oh just remembered here is the guide!

====================================
    VII. NTSC (Video) DVD (29.97i Fps) -> PAL DVD (25i Fps)
    Run DVD2AVI and load the decrypted VOBs using the "Open" item in the "File" menu (you need to choose only the first one of a sequence).
    Check the "None" item in the "Field Operation" sub-menu of the "Video" menu.
    Choose the desired audio track number (usually "Track 1") in the "Track Number" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Demux" item in the "Dolby Digital" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Auto Select" item in the "Channel Format" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Off" item in the "48 -> 44.1 KHz" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Select the "Save Project" item in the "File" menu.
    Choose a location and filename for the DVD2AVI project name. A small text file with the D2V extension will be created, and the audio track specified above will be extracted from the VOB into an AC3 file in the same location.
    Create and open a new text file with an AVS extension (to be used with AVISynth), using your favorite text editor (like Notepad).
    Add the following lines, filling in the location and filename of the file you created above:
    LoadPlugin("MPEG2DEC.dll")
    LoadPlugin("SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
    MPEG2Source("DRIVE:\PATH\VTS_xx_x.d2v")
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
    ConvertFPS(50) # or ChangeFPS(50)
    LanczosResize(720,576)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,1,2)
    Weave()
    ConvertToRGB()
    Save the AVS file.
    Ensure that MPEG2DEC.dll is installed. (If this file is placed in the \WINNT\System32 or \Windows\System directory, the full path is not needed, as illustrated in the above script. Otherwise, add the full path to the LoadPlugin() command.)
    Ensure that SmoothDeinterlacer.dll is installed. (If this file is placed in the \WINNT\System32 or \Windows\System directory, the full path is not needed, as illustrated in the above script. Otherwise, add the full path to the LoadPlugin() command.)
    Load the AVS file into TMPGEnc as the "Video Source."
    NOTE: Cancel the Wizard dialog box which appears when you run TMPGEnc.

Load the "DVD (PAL)" template into TMPGEnc.
    Load the "unlock" template (located in the "Extra" directory).
    Select "Video only" in the "Stream type" region.
    Specify the location and name of the "Output file name" with an M2V extension.
    In the "Rate control mode:" field, choose the type of encoding you want. Multi-pass variable bit rate (VBR) settings produce better quality, but take longer to encode. Choose your bit rate based on quality desired, length of video, size of AC3 above, size of other files that will be on the destinaion disc, and the size of destination medium. Do not exceed 9800 kbit/sec.
    Choose "Motion estimate search (fast)" or "Highest quality (very slow)" in the "Motion search precision:" field on the "Video" tab of the "Setting" dialog.
    Press "Start" to convert, and encode the video.
    Author and Burn Your DVD
    At this point your audio and video files are ready to be authored and burned to a DVD. Various methods exist for this, which are beyond the scope of this Standards Conversion document.

====================================

8. anth45

anth45 Guest

i extracted audio with virtualdub then encoded thro tmpgenc the audio stays in sync a little longer but gradually goes out any other solutions

9. anth45

anth45 Guest

just me again ive just checked the frame rate 1 of the avis has a framerate of 23.9760 the other 29 tmpgenc is outputting at 25 how do i change this

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

load the template in settings of type of output you need say ntsc or pal?

dont use wizard! cancel that!

11. anth45

anth45 Guest

ill try that thanks

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you have Live in Pal Land, and you have NTSC Files then you CAN NOT use Tmpgenc to convert from Pal to NTSC Because Tmpgenc doesn"t do Proper Frame Rate conversions ,Your file will Get a Slight Jump about every second if you do and you will get Sync Problems...Converting 23.97fps to 25fps Is easier than converting 29.97fps to 25fps...The Method I have been useing lately for converting 25fps to 23.97fps will work the same for converting 23.97fps to 25fps..What you do is First you will have to extract the audio from the AVI file to Wav format, You can use Virtual Dub for this, Then you use a little Program called "AVI Frame Rate changer" to change the frame rate to 25fps but now the audio will be out of sync because the Frame rate is Different which makes the Video length different..So what you need to do is load the new 25fps AVI file into Virtual-Dub and go to "File" to "File Information" and find out the exact length of the AVI file and write it down...Now you will have to change the length of the Audio to the length of the Video, To do this a Good Program is called "Goldwave" ,What you do is load the wav audio into goldwave and go to "Effects" to "Time Warp" and then just put the lengh of the Video file into the Space Provided and click OK and it will Change the length of the audio file to the length of the Video file, now you just save the File as a New Wav file...Now you just load the AVI file into Tmpgenc and load the Wav audio into Tmpgenc as the audio source and encode it to Pal Mpeg...I just used this Method a Few days ago and it worked flawlessly but for converting 29.97fps to 25fps I would use a Good Quality Video editor and Make a New AVI file with the correct frame rate and then encode that file..Most Quality Video editors Like Vegas Video 4 and Adobe Premier do Good Format conversions with very little artifacts so even though this will Take a while it will produce a more fluid image that if you tried to use Tmpgenc to convert the frame rate...Cheers

13. anth45

anth45 Guest

ill try that and see how that works cheers

14. anth45

anth45 Guest

back again! right i have used the avi framerate changer to change the avi framerate from 23.970fps to 25fps. extracted audio with virtualdub. i noticed that the extracted audio was the same length as the avi file with its new framerate is this right. well any way ive put the avi file into tmpgenc and used the audio i extracted aswell. so now im just waiting for it to encode and ill get back to you so far so good. thanks a lot

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

No..If the Frame rate was was Changed then the audio and Video lengths will be different, the Audio will be about 4% shorter because the Video is Moveing 4% Faster from the Frame rate change..After encodeing when you find the audio out of sync Dont worry because you can still change the length of the audio and then just encode the audio to Mpeg and Mux it with the Allready encoded Mpeg Video file....good Luck

16. anth45

anth45 Guest

you were right they werent in synch ive deleted the mpeg tho i didnt see your msg untill after that. ive extracted the audio from another avi and put it into tmpgenc without changeing framerate of the avi will this work

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

It will work if the Frame rate of the AVI is the same as the Mpeg you are encodeing to..I think you live in Pal Land so the AVI frame rate should be 25fps.....

18. anth45

anth45 Guest

hi all havent replied lately cos i had to reroute cable 4 internet. anyway, im still haveing some probs with audio/video synch. ive changed framerate of a avi from 29.70 to 25 changed the length of audio in goldwave to the same as avi now ive put them into tmpgenc now do i encode them to 1 file or a wav file and a video file. one other thing im haveing probs with playback of dvdr in dvd players the dvdr will start then a few mins into film will keep stopping. im using ritek i think they are white come in 25 pack the guy at computer shop told me they were ritek any solutions. please

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

UM..You can not really use the Method you are useing to Convert 29.97fps to 25fps, that method works best for converting 23.97fps to 25fps or 25fps to 23.97fps..The Best method when converting 29.97fps to 25fps is to use a Video editor to render the File to 25fps...

20. anth45

anth45 Guest

would i be able to use virtual dub for this?