1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tmpgenc audio/video not in sync

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by anth45, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well not really, It doesn"t do proper Frame rate conversions either....

2. anth45

anth45 Guest

what do you do when you have audio/video synch problems? in lamemans terms plse.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It depends on what type of a sync problem I have, But Most Sync Problems are the type of sync problem were it is In sync at the Beginning of the Movie but gradually goes out of sync as the Movie Progresses..This type of sync Problem is caused from the audio and Video lengths being slighly different, So you Find out the exact length of the Video then use an audio editor to Stretch/Shrink the audio to the exact length of the Video...

4. anth45

anth45 Guest

do i do this before or after i encode the avi?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

You do it after you have encoded the AVI video to Mpeg, then you will know the Final Length of the Video ,you then compare the length with the length of the Audio and any length differance is the amount out of sync it is...

6. anth45

anth45 Guest

how do i find out the lengths ive put the avi thro tmpgenc its an mpeg file now. i tried virtual dub but it keeps coming up with an error.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

8. anth45

anth45 Guest

cheers for that. right ive put the mpeg file into virtualdub i can find out the length of the vid but not the audio. also how do i split the audio from the mpeg do i do this in tmpgenc simple-demultiplex?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can seperate the Audio and Video useing the "Simple Demultiplex" But the audio file you should be useing is the Wav file you extracted from the AVI file, because the audio Quality will be better than the Audio from the Mpeg file and if you are going to Stretch/Shrink the audio to the video Length useing Goldwave it will only accept Wav files...When you Load the Wav file into Goldwave it will give you it"s exact length, Then just go to "Effects" to "time Warp" and choose the First Time warp Method and then put the Video length in the space Provided and then save as a New Wav file...Now just encode the New wav file to Mpeg audio useing Tmpgenc and Join the Mpeg audio file with the Mpeg video file useing the "Simple Multiplex" and then Cross you fingers and it should be in sync....Cheers

10. anth45

anth45 Guest

hi again. i seperated the vid and audio using tmpgenc. the video file and the audio file are the same length i put them back 2gether audio/video still out. this is annoying me now but ill try 2 stay calm. another thing i burned 2 movies on to dvds with nerovision which was stupid of me because its crap. audio and video out of synch. how do i sort out audio/video so i can burn them again because i dont have them on my pc just dvd.

11. jaxdefore

jaxdefore Member

I have what I believe is a similar problem
    tmpgenc converted files fine on my old computer, but my new one makes the video run faster (the length of the video stays the same however with a repeated frame at the end) - settings are all the same and I am NOT changing framerate - same file in same version of tmpgenc converts fine on old machine. I assume (with the dangers inherent in that) that there is some setting/codec/something on the new computer that is causing this

yes, I could fiddle with the audio length - but I shouldn't have to since it works on my other computer (and, yes, I could just do the work there, but I'd like to solve this)

I'm just thinking that this might be part of anth45's problem

12. jaxdefore

jaxdefore Member

discovered the solution to my problem - and it MIGHT be applicable to this thread. I have two mpeg-2 codecs installed on both computers - I assumed in the same way - but that was wrong - the "works correctly" computer was using ligos and the "bad one" was using elecard because the version of ligos installed on it was old - I installed the more recent Ligos and processing is proper now

how I was inept enough to install the old one in the first place I do not know

I apologize if this does not help the thread (but I am greatly relieved to have solved my problem)

13. WilburT

WilburT Guest

I have an audio/video sync problem. The sound starts off in sync but gradually fades out of sync. The length of the converted mpg is 2:06:21 but the wav file is 2:06:28. Somebody said to shrink/stretch the audio file using an audio editor. What software does this and does anybody have any instructions on how to do this? If you could help me out that would be great.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can stretch/shrink the audio file useing a few different Programs, one of them is called "Goldwave" (http://www.goldwave.com/release.html) ...All you need to do to stretch.Shrink the audio is to load in your Wav Audio file then go to "Effects" to "Time Warp" and then choose "time" and Put in the length that you want to the audio file to be stretched to, then click "OK" and then save the file as a new wav file and then the audio and Video should be the same length and be in sync (Hopefully)....Cheers

15. tre14

tre14 Member

i have the same problem. i've followed the various methods described on this thread but the video and audio is still out of synch. is there anything else to try? btw, the video is "The Others" in case anyone else has had a problem with it particularly.

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Some Movies Just can"t be Synced (Unless you do it scene by scene) I have Had a Bunch of Movies that Just werent able to get to in sync and I would just end up deleteing the Files..Sync Problem are some of the Hardest things to fix in Digital Video so sometimes you just have to concede defeat.....