1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc authoring problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bushfilm, Dec 19, 2004.

1. bushfilm

bushfilm Guest

I just downloaded free trial version of TMPGenc DVD authoring software...used TMPGenc to encode a QT Ref movie (from an Avid edited project), then used TMPGenc authoring prog to make Video_TS files to burn to DVD. When I open the DVD writing tool, the "write to DVD" button is grayed out and won't let me do the burn. Whats up with this...am I doing something wrong? I am trying like hell to get a decent DVD from a six minute home movie and it just won't happen! Help!

2. lyberty

lyberty Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  3. bushfilm

bushfilm Guest

I have Nero already, I just wanted to try something different. I realize that the burning engine probably has no effect on the quality of the finished DVD, but mine have been looking so average, that I was willing to try anything to improve their looks.

4. lyberty

lyberty Member

I haven't tried the 'TMPGEnc DVD Author' tool myself yet, but in an attempt to be helpful:

the guide " DVD MPEG to DVD-R by Authoring" by koola at http://www.simpleguides.tk/ looks like it's good. Have you tried following along with the steps in the guide?

When you encoded the files, what format did you encode them to, and what 'TMPGEnc' settings did you use?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  5. bushfilm

bushfilm Guest

I followed the settings at this site: http://www.cmmlink.com/tmpgenc.htm

I made MPEG2 files using TMPGenc encoded from a Quicktime Reference movie exported from Avid Express Pro. I burned the files to DVD using both TMPGenc authoring software, and Nero.

The DVD's look okay, but not a sharp as a miniDV digital cutout of the same project.

The problem is in the areas of rapid movement, I can horizontal lines, sort of the video equivalent of the kind of "jaggie" you see on computer text sometimes.

I tried the maximum bitrate setting of 8000 (9500 with audio file) but I still see the lines. I tried using 2pass VBR setting but still looks unsharp.

Let me know if you think of a solution. Thanks!