1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Common Problems!

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by Dela, Jun 29, 2003.

1. dsjunk

dsjunk Member

While converting a captured AVI video to DVD with TMPGEnc 2.5 using tooLame as the MPEG-1 Audio Layer II encoder, I receive the error message "Illegal MPEG audiostream" after tooLame has processed the file and TMPGEnc begins the conversion. I have the latest version of both programs. What will correct this problem? Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

2. dsjunk

dsjunk Member

While converting a captured AVI video to DVD with TMPGEnc 2.5 using tooLame as the MPEG-1 Audio Layer II encoder, I receive the error message "Illegal MPEG audiostream" after tooLame has processed the file and TMPGEnc begins the conversion. I have the latest version of both programs. What will correct this problem? Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

3. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

I am using TMPGENc Plus 2.5. I am using toolame.exe and ssrc as external tools in the enviromental settings. When I go to recode the audio file (mp2)I browse for the audio source when I get the mpg.mp2 file to show up in the output window I click "load" and I click DVD (NTSC).mcf. I open that file and select ES (Audio) only The audio file is greyed out and locked to 48000. When I finish re-encoding the audio file. I burn it to DVD using DVD Author. When I play it back using Nero video player or My Emerson Combo DVD VCR there is no sound.

If I just bypass the file separation and load the dat files directly into DVD author from the VCD files the sound is perfect on both players. I am able to get 9 45 minute tv shows on one DVD+RW ( I am using RW for testing) so I dont notice any problems from lack of compression. I don't see what the advantage is from going through all these extra steps when I can just author a DVD by just using TMPGENc Author from the dat files without separating and recoding them (DVD Author does the recoding.)

4. SimonFTB

SimonFTB Guest

Hi, all! My request touches on certain issues raised already (surprise, surprise) and I have carefully read this and other threads plus the appropriate guides, but does not involve problems with whole films. Basically, what I want to create is a series of MPEG files of my favourite 1-2 minute clips from a TV series I have bought on DVD: my 'best of', as it were (I'd probably want to burn them onto a DVD later on, but that's another story...!)

Having successfully ripped the DVD and got perfectly decent .d2v video files and a .wav audio file, all I want to do is cue them up together and record the desired short clips. Whilst TMPGEnc is delighted to show me a waveform of the audio track and I can set start and end frames okay, because I can't play the audio file to hear it I have no idea where I am in the file and therefore can't get synchronised! It strikes me that this ought to be pretty straightforward, but I'm really lost.

I expect I'm overlooking something simple but my poor brain is really beginning to hurt over this! All help would be very much appreciated.

5. Bayzoo

Bayzoo Guest

Hello from UK.
    Can you help?
    TMPGEnc 2.5 PLus is now making a .m2v file that is 30 minutes shorter than the original film. Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so can I please find a remedy to this? I am beginning to lose hair and patience with it.
    Is there any other way to get from an AVI file to dvd material ( video_ts and audio_ts folders )?
    Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Eric

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Yes there are many other encoders like MainConcept and MPEG-VCR, oh and of course, the one and only... CCE SP :)

Geez! that sucks, u ok with it all now ye?

Well basically Constant Quality is VBR encoding but it will add as much birate as it needs to make as perfect a copy of a frame as it can so as u can imagine the filesize will be effected here! Your best bet would be to look for a birate calculator and using 2 pass vbr encoding. This will help you get a file thats 4.36GB or less (4.7GB is Japanese GB's apparently,. real size of DVDR is 4.36GB)

OK, hunch would be that the source file is to blame, in VirtualDUB you can scan the stream for errors, you should try that and come back if needed!

Coiote, could u tell me what codecs you have installed? some people have been getting trouble till they installed FFDShow! strange i know but worth a try!

Try saving a wav file from the avi file in VirtualDUB. Then save an avi file with no audio, load the video and audio seperately and see if it helps!

It has been reported a lot that some players have problems playing audsio made with tooLame! I never had problems like this however when I used TMPGEnc!

SimonFTB, try file - mpeg tools - merge and cut, that help?

Download virtualdub and scan the source avi for errors!

Also for DiVX/XViD to DVD, nothing beats CCE SP or CCE Basic!

7. accy786

accy786 Member

Hi dela
    Heres a new error im getting that u have not mentioned in ur error list:-
    CAN NOT OPEN VIDEO FILE BLAH BLAH BLAH.AVI....ONLY AUDIO PART CAN BE OPENED.

Now what the hell do i do here?
    the movie plays fine (avi) but i cant encode the bugger to vcd (by the way im using tmpgenc xpress)
    ps: i have checked for the directshow filter and codec 9avi0
    and everything seems ok
    so y this problem???????

8. Bayzoo

Bayzoo Guest

Movie scanned with virtual dub , didn't know you could do that! Told ya I was a noob!!
    All frames fine none unreadable. Don't understand how it can make a 90 minute avi file 59 minutes long , baffling.

Regards

Eric

9. Dela

@accy786. Hey man, is this for all files or just 1? Download AVICodec and give me the details for the file but leave out the actual filenames please! Also what codecs have you installed?

@Bayzoo, im not that surprised to be honest! The best advice I could give you for it to work past that frame is use "Source Range" first to encode the first 59 minutes, up to where it stops, then source range again to encode passed where it stops to the end. You can then go to file - mpeg tools - Merge and Cut and Merge them as 1 file!

10. accy786

accy786 Member

@ dela ...firstly thankz for the reply back
    Yes im having the same problem with all the files (can not open video file ,only the audio). I had gspot installed and it said i have all the supported codecs for the files but i downloaded avicodec as mentioned and it 2 says the codecs are supported.
    EXAMPLE of a file :- movie avi
    File : 699 MB (699 MB), duration: 1:34:53, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 42 %

Video : 612 MB, 902 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 512*384 (4:3), DIV3 = DivX v3 ;-) MPEG-4 (Low-Motion), Supported

Audio : 86 MB, 127 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

The codecs i have installed r divx bundle and xvid and directshow filter

11. Dela

Ok, it cant hurt to get the real codecs though :)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/divx_3_codec.cfm - After you have run the installation, you will see a file that says "Run Me First" it will ask do you wish to install DivX, say yes and overwrite any files it asks about.

Also, I recommend you get the Radium MP3 Codec installed, it works well if you are playing DivX, also, have u installed any codec packs?

12. accy786

accy786 Member

thankz Dela
    Iv managed to get get the divx dodecs u mentioned and uninstalled the codecs i previously had and got the tmpgenc xpress working :)
    hmmm having to many codecs is worse than not having enough.
    thankz again dela much appriciated :)

13. accy786

accy786 Member

damn it :(
    It only let me open the 1 file ( avi movie ) and not the rest of the files i have in avi movie files
    i dont get it? they r all in avi format and all play alright and i have the codecs i need...so wat gives?

14. Dela

There may be a codec conflict. Maybe you could try riasing the directshow file reader's priority a bit?

15. Coiote

Coiote Member

Dela, my codecs are: Divx, Huffyuv Avi lossless video codec and I have ffdshow installed. I Already removed Nimo codec to try avoid a conflict and changed the priority of Directshow to 2 but the write error and read error still occur. My video is onboard and I use a Duron 1.3 with 384 Mb DIMM. Is this the problem?

16. atomfart

atomfart Member

Hey i have a problem with the subtitles, it doesn't show up when i encode the AVI file with Virtual Dub, is there anyway i can fix this problem?

17. Dela

Sorry i cant i dont work with subtitles, hopefully one opf theother users can help out here :)

18. yoclick

yoclick Member

Hi, Am having a problem and dont know how to solve. When i put a file into tmpgenc and adjust the bitrate, it shows what the new file size should be. However, once the file is made, instead of being just under 700mb to fit on one cd, its 900mb!!!I know the file is using VBR but that should make the file size bigger than what it says, should it?

19. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

I have a problem with TMPGenc and FFDShow. First, I am not getting any audio with my output video. I tried using step 7 of this guide, but no dice. I have VirtualDub and FFDShow, but I can't find Directshow anywhere, or the options screen where I can find the enviromental variables. I have no clue what to do from here!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20. jason2004

jason2004 Guest

Ok what is virtaldub and where do i get it?