1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc error Illegal Floating....

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by MikMan, Dec 2, 2003.

1. MikMan

MikMan Member

I am trying to convert a DivXv.5 video into an MPEG2 SVCD using TMPGEnc but keep getting the error 'Illegal Floating Decimal Point Calculation Order'.
    The error only appears if the bitrate is higher than 650 kbps on constant quality. Original AVI bitrate is approx. 580 kbps according to AVIcodec and GSpot with excellent picture quality !? If I use the same bitrate when encoding to SVCD, the quality is very poor, only becoming watchable after 1200 kbps! I have disabled 'Use Floating Point DCT' via the enviromental CPU settings - unchecking SSE and SSE-2, but still get the error.
    HELP !

2. MikMan

MikMan Member

I've just tried encoding the same file using CBR instead of CQ, and the error no longer appears. Why is this? Which produces the better quality CBR or CQ ?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Usually this error is From some Sort of Error in your AVI file...The Bitrate of the DivX file has absolutly no bearing on what Bitrate you should use when encodeing it to Mpeg, They are 2 Totally Different Compression methods so the Bitrate used when encodeing to divX will not Produce the same Quality when encoded to Mpeg...CQ will Produce the same or better Quality as CBR but will produce much smaller File Sizes, But it is allmost impossible to predict the File size when useing CQ ,but with CBR it is easy to Predict....Cheers