1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc error message

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by amerex, Nov 12, 2003.

1. amerex

amerex Member

hi.. i recieved this error message when tryng to convert a Xvid using TMPGnc..

"the error occurred when AMC was initialized"

i then configured my envirmental settings
    so that my directshow multimedia file reader has the priority of 2.

any ideas of the problem?

2. amerex

amerex Member

okay, i used Avic to change the cc from xvid to divx. it appears that its encoding, but i don't see the movie image in the movie display box.
    all i see is that "processing inverse telecine" was the percentage of the movie encoding. so does this mean it's working regardless from not being able to see the movie displayed.

thanks

3. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Im not an avid user of TMPGEnc but from what Ive seen, TMPGEnc isnt encoding your movie just yet. Youve enabled the Inverse Telecine function, so first itll IVTC your movie then encode.

4. amerex

amerex Member

yeah, youre right. after it finished encoding, i went to start the converting and i got the same message once again.

this is my first time using TMPGEnc, so i am not sure if i am doing evrything right.

i did follow the links you provided me (previously)closely and it seems i did everything right. i even download virtual dub and seperated the audio into its own wav file.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  5. amerex

amerex Member

yes.. i am officially lost. lol

help?

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well, Im not sure on the specifics on your problem...

7. amerex

amerex Member

do you have msn?

maybe you can help me through there.

if not, i can wrtie it out here in full detail and perhaps we can figure something out.

thanks
    chris

8. amerex

amerex Member

okay.. i decided to write in here instead.

okay. first things first. i first read over the tutorials that you provided for me from a previous post i had. after read it i got a better understanding of what i was doing.

i had downloaded saving private ryan from sharereactor.com, which turned out to be 3 xvid movies formated as avi. there are all roughly 55 mins each. i want to convert them so i can eventually burn them and play them on my DVD player.

so i opened up TMPEGnc and choose NTSC Film, because the movies have a frame rate of 23.976. ( i checked with Virtual Dub)
    i then used Virtual Dub to seperate the aduio from the video by creating a WAV file of the movies audio. so i then broswed for the video and then browsed for the audio. once they were selected, i proceeded to the filter settings, which i didnt select any cause the movies are all under 80 mins so there was no need to cut the starting and end time. after that i proceeded and it created a MPEG output file name, which a named accordingly. then when i hit next i came to the last part where the converting starts. the screen is blank and i hit start, but i receive a message saying "The error occurred when ACM was initialized"
    i then do some research and find that by setting the priority of the "DirectShow Multimedia File Reader" to either 1 or 2. ( i tried both!)
    so after setting that up i tried starting the converting again and the same thing. so i try making the priority 2 and still the same thing.

i then shut down the program and do somemore research. i read a few posts that sounded like my exact problem so i follow the advice and used a program called Avic which is a xvid codec. suppose to use it to change the "Four cc's" said to change it from xvid to divx.

so i used AviC to change the xvids to divx and then tried to go back and convert them using TMPGEnc. this time, it appeared to be doing something because it was processing something at the very bottom. ("processing inverse telecine" with the percentage of the movie encoding) after i let that complete, i try to start TMPGEnc again but i am still going that message. ("The error occurred when ACM was initialized")

after this i gave up and went into my movie folder and tried to play saving private ryan using my real player, but the video was all scrambled, but the audio played fine. i found this to be the problem on all 3 movies, i had to use AviC once again to decode or convert? them both back to viewable state.

hope that is detailed enough to help you figure out what might be the problem. :)

thanks agian,
    chris

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  9. amerex

amerex Member

anyone? there has to be someone who knows how to use TMPGEnc inside and out??

perhaps i should post this under a different section?

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well, you mentioned in your post that the video you put in was being Inverse Telecined. Thats not needed since you said the video was already at 23.976 FPS. So make sure you leave that option unchecked.

What was the original audio file of the xvid movie?
    AC3, mp3, etc...?

You could try posting this in the vcd section...

Uh, I should have mentioned this thread before, since it seems to address your specific problem:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40101

11. amerex

amerex Member

hey power!
    i have no clue why this started "Inverse Telecined" but i will take a look and see what i should disable. any idea to where i should look for this setting?

btw..thats for the link.. i will read it over tonight and see if it helps.

as for my audio settings for the movie, i think it was AC3, but i am not sure. how could i find that out?

i am using a AC3 filter..so does that mean..?

sorry.. i am noob to all this..

thanks

12. amerex

amerex Member

one more thing..

some of the movies i download are Mpeg format.. so does that mean i can just burn them and skip converting them using TMPGEnc?

13. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You can find that setting and others in the advanced tab.

Use Gspot to determine what kind of audio you have.

If you do have an ac3 audio track, I think you have to treat that differently than if say the original file were an mp3 or wav.

Have a look at this guide if you have ac3 audio:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/divx_to_vcd.cfm?wide=true

You can skip the process only if those movies were encoded using the vcd standard. If you try and burn it as a vcd with something like nero and you get a message saying that the video is not mpeg-compliant, then youll have to re-encode with TMPGEnc.

14. amerex

amerex Member

thanks a million power! i'll read up on this and hope i can get it to work.

i'd like to mention that i have AC3 filter.. i am not sure if its AC3 audio tracker. they're probably the same thing, right?

i also have FFDshow.. i just downloaded ac3 and ffd because i was having problems playing some movies. i really dont have any idea what they do, but they helped me view and hear my movies.

i hear and read about codec and four cc's. i know that codecs decode foreign audio and video formats, right?

but what is all of that about?

thanks again

Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  15. amerex

amerex Member

okay i used Gspot and it shows that my video and audio codecs are xvid and ac3. this is the specs for the particular movie was trying to convert with TMPGEnc.

thanks

16. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ok, so you have an AC3 audio stream. Maybe the instructions on that guide will be helpful.

Codec is short for COmpress DEmCompress.

The type of codec you used depends on which codec the movie was encoded with. So if for example someone encoded a movie with the divx codec, then you would use the divx codec to play it back.

The same goes for your audio stream.

FFDshow is a special case since it was designed to be able to playback movies encoded with a wide variety of codecs. Which is why you could use it to playback divx or xvid encoded movies.

Oh and to answer your previous question, I dont have msn, sorry.

17. moleff

moleff Guest

hey, can either of you help, when i try to use virtual dub or tmpgenc for xvid videos, it won't work. it says it doens't support those formats, but my windows media player can play it. do either of you know what's going on...

18. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Do you have an xvid codec installed on your computer?

19. moleff

moleff Guest

actually I got it to work. i found to versions of the codec, the older one worked, the newer one didn't on my computer