1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc makes files too large

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by DarioMcG, Mar 26, 2004.

1. DarioMcG

DarioMcG Member

Hi, i hope this question hasn't already been answered but im having trouble encoding my DivX and Xvid movies. Basically i followed the guide and it all went fine, i even managed to burn a couple of DivX movies however most of the time TMPGEnc makes the files way to large and distorts the size of the move, (I go through the steps with a Lost In Translation Xvid, which is 699MB and about 1h 45m long and on the final screen TMPGEnc tells me that the size is 214% of the dvd and 315 minutes long!) Am i missing a simple step, or is my computer buggered or what?!? Please help

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

You need to change the bitrate. Try a bitrate calculator like DV Tool. I always drop the calculated bitrate by about 100 kbps for the headroom needed.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

1 hour 45min is not 315 minutes. i got that problem too, way back, i stop using the wizard.

i think it should fit if you put the bitrate 5500kbps average.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
  4. DarioMcG

DarioMcG Member

I think i found the problem. If i lower the bitrate on the other settings page (i can get away with about 1150 kbs) and choose constant bitrate i can fit the movie on, but the length still comes wrong. If i select 2-pass VBR then no matter how low i make the bit rate it still comes up as a massive file on the final page.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

try making like a 20 minute video, and see how the size comes out. not referring to the meter, sometimes it can't be trusted.