1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Plus

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Student, May 11, 2004.

1. Student

Student Member

If I encode the video using TMPGEnc Plus with NTSC because the avi file has a 23fps, then am I write in assuming i will not be able to play this on my home dvd player, most likely being a PAL one because I am from UK.

Can anyone give me advice on this...

Andy

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, most UK players will play NTSC anyway....

3. daba

daba Guest

Indeed most PAL players can play NTSC discs, but they just change the color scheme, not the frequency. NTSC is 60 Hz, PAL is 50 Hz.

If your player doesn't change the frequency, you'll get pseudo-PAL. Not an issue if your TV supports 60 Hz PAL. Most recent TV do.

Daba

4. w3tno

w3tno Member

A few days ago I downloaded TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress and used it to transcode a 31 GB AVI file (captured from a VHS tape) to MPEG-2 with embedded Dolby sound. I then used TMPGEnc DVD Author for authoring and burning to DVD. The final product seemed to be OK, but this was my first conversion so I can not accurately judge the quality of the final product.

I would like to know if there are comments about whether or not XPress is an improvement over straight TMPGEnc Plus. In particular, is the encoder in the XPress product as good as the encoder in the original product?

Last edited: May 23, 2004