1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Problems...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Matt84, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Matt84

Matt84 Member

When trying to start the encoding process TMPGEnc brings this message up... "To playback MPEG-2 file, DVD software needs to be installed on your system. MPEG-2 files cannot be played withouth this software."

I have a DVD-Rom shouldn't that be enough? And everytime I try to bypass the message and continue trying to encode, TMPGEnc freezes up and doesn't respond.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Usually Operating System s (like Win XP) should have this feature. But my old PC, who hadn't a DVD reader, hadn't neither AC3 support neither DVD files (MPEG-2) reading capabilities (some applications like WinDVD or even WMA automatically load those A/V codecs).
    Can you check your OS? Alas, i cannot. I don't know anything about this stuff. If you use WinXP you can ask here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp .

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, a DVD-ROM is not enough.
    Tmpgenc will always throw that message at you, if it can't find, or doesn't recognize a true software DVD player on your system.
    Just put a tick in the box to ignore that message from now on. It's annoying, and useless.
    As for the freezing, it could be from a corrupt source avi, unrecognizable audio, or missing codec.

4. Matt84

Matt84 Member

It used to work and all of a sudden since yesterday once it goes to encode, it will freeze up and it will stop responding.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The 'freezing' could be causing from a deletion of a sub-directory you used before with TMPGenc (solutions: 1) delete TMPGenc.ini file - but you'll have to re-set of the VFAPI plug-in priorities, after that, or 2) edit TMPGenc.ini with Notepad and change:

ProjectOpenDialog.InitialDir="C:\path1"
    ProjectSaveDialog.InitialDir="C:\path2"
    VideoSourceDialog.InitialDir="C:\path3"
    AudioSourceDialog.InitialDir="C:\path4"
    SaveOutputDialog.InitialDir="C:\path5"

into

ProjectOpenDialog.InitialDir="C:\"
    ProjectSaveDialog.InitialDir="C:\"
    VideoSourceDialog.InitialDir="C:\"
    AudioSourceDialog.InitialDir="C:\"
    SaveOutputDialog.InitialDir="C:\"

just to clean the 'memory of the directories used' a little.
    (keep a backup copy of the TMPGenc.ini file, just to be sure you don't do nothing wrong)

Is this solution valid?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005