1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc program help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by rubio12, Mar 4, 2003.

1. rubio12

rubio12 Guest

My question is what is the real difference of using tmpgeng or cce sp to create (s)vcd? Doesn't it really depend on the quality of your avi file or am i missing something?. Whats your opinion DELA? TMPGeng or CCE to create my vcd and svcd? cheers as always

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

For VCD use TMPGEnc

For SVCD use CCE SP
    or you can also use ProCoder!

Here's an idea of a nice quality SVCD encoding

Using DVD2SVCD with the folowing settings will give you very high quality.

Video: 4 pass VBR SVCD min:300 average:1600 max:2450. That would give you a great quality encoding and would allow 60 minutes on an 80min disk!

The quality of your AVI is a very important issue because you are not going to get quality higher than the input quality! So if you have good divx or xvid avi's then SVCD is best but if you have low quality copys then just use TMPGEnc to make VCD!

3. rubio12

rubio12 Guest

Thanks very much. I've BACKED up a few of my avi files into vcd with mixed results but now off to give Dvd2svcd a go. Probably be back very soon with a few more questions.

4. rubio12

rubio12 Guest

coming from a different angle this time..... just passed an avi file through virtual dub and the program came up with this message "virtual dub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source avi file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatability. This may introduce up to 59633ms of skew from the audio stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the file into WAV and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder". So i let the program do it and ended up with the new avi file over double the size. How? Why? What happened? Any tips? (just to let u know, i played the file after and the quality was a hell of a lot better)

5. Dela

It must have uncompressed something. Make sure that video and audio are set to direct stream copy!!

6. rubio12

rubio12 Guest

both set to direct stream copy, but still happens

7. vixnfox

vixnfox Guest

REf:
    virtual dub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source avi file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values ....
    I ALWAYS resave these avi's with direct stream video and uncompressed audio, and yes, the file length increases because the audio is uncompressed, but if the AVI is error-free, then it is always in sync and u can do what u like with it....it only takes a couple of minutes to save....

VixnFox

8. Dela

vixnfox, i do that sometimes aswell but VirtualDUB likes to fusk up with VBR audio so I use VirtualDUBMOD (little better than VirtualDUB) or NANDUB instead!

9. rubio12

rubio12 Guest

are there are fools guides to virtual DUBMOD anywhere?

10. Dela

Not many i think no!

11. New2This9

New2This9 Guest

Hi Dela, Thanks for the help on virtualdub. But this is a new problem I now face with Tmpg. Whenever i use TMPG to encode, the computer hangs / freeze halfway. Sometimes the blue error screen appears and sometimes the pc just go blank. Could it be a computer hardware / settings problem? I never had this problem on my previous computer. I've just upgraded to a P4 2.4ghz and am running on Windows 98se os.

12. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

I have been making vcds for about 2 months nowe and have tried alot of different kinds of stuff too convert too mpeg2 so i could make them into vcd. this is what i found out Do NOT USE TMPGENC IT IS CRAP. I use nero burning rom with a twist it has this coverter and burner in one so you dont have too use 2 different programs too burn the vcd and if you like vcd try too make them vcd 2.0 thats better then 1.o but also dont make svcd the compression is too great and it messes the video up. get it from kazaa nerovision express is part of nero burning rom its a secodary program of that program and it works better then tmpenc plus you can use it too burn a whole dvd if you have a dvd burner.

well now im having burn problems so dont worry my burner wont burn anything for me anymore and here is a funny one robert duncan mcneil was in the movie He-Man if you dont know who that is he played Tom paris in star trek voyager.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2003
  13. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

And seeing as Wolf had the time on his hands to PM me (and I imagine others) on this subject, I am sure you can take what he has to say at face value.

Paul.

PS : Wolf, how do you make your VCDs? MPEG2 did you say? lol

14. Dela

New2This9, I would think its more the operating system than anything else. My broter was running 98 for a long time and TMPGEnc wasnt great with it but is perfect with XP Pro!

wolf123,

1. TMPGEnc is a much better encoder then Nero could ever hope to be!!

2. VCD is made with MPEG-1 not MPEG-2 (as loaded found humourous! ;-)

1. The same comment i said in nero in the last quote!

2. Not much difference between VCD1.1 and VCD2.0 and in a lot of cases players only support 1.1

3. The compression is too great?? The compression on VCD is much bigger and the quality sucks! SVCD is MPEG-2 and has much better quality and also could store a good hour of very very near DVD quality movies (made with CCE SP not Nero!!) so that kind of counters everything you said there!!

1. Severe rule breaking to encourage piracy on this forum!

2. It doesnt work better than TMPGEnc Plus!

3. Nero Burning Rom not nero express should be used for DVD Burning!!

Sorry about that but so much of that information will lead people into bad quality copies of their movies that I had to highlight it all with quotes!!