1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc Slight Pause on playback

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by TheJ0ker, Oct 18, 2003.

1. TheJ0ker

TheJ0ker Member

Hi.. Ive trauled around the forums looking for a solution to this problem of a slight pause every second or so through the whole film during playback. I'm encoding an avi file to an mpeg2 dvd compliant file using tmpgenc. Nice program with lots of option...

Please help... :)

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your Problem sounds like you encoded the AVI to Mpeg Useing the Wrong Framerate..You Finnished Mpeg file has to have the same Frame rate as the avi file unless you are useing 3:2 Pulldown but if your AVI file is 25fps you can not encode it to 29.97fps Useing Tmpgenc or Visa versa Cuz Tmpgenc doesn"t do Proper Frame rate conversions...Cheers

3. TheJ0ker

TheJ0ker Member

Excellent advice.. Thanks very much....

Err how do I find out what the framerate of the avi is.. Err... :) and if i encode it to mpeg2 for putting on a dvd will the framerate cause the dvd to appear in black and white.

Sorry about all these questions...

And what this pulldown thing... I'll have a study....

Thanks again...

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Usually you can find out the Frame rate by just Right clicking on the File and going to "Properties" ,Or you could load the File into Virtual Dub and then go to "File" to "File information" and it should give you all of the File information, you can also download a Little Program called "GSpot" it will tell you everything about your file...3:2 Pulldown is a Way of converting a 23.97fps/24fps file to 29.97fps/30fps without actually converting the Frame rate ,It makes up the extra Frames By seperateing some of the frames into Fields then making new Frames..Most NTSC DVD"s are Made this way because Most movies are Shot in 23.97/24fps Film but need to be 29.97/30fps Interlaced for DVD...So if you have AVI files that are 25fps you will have to convert them to AVI files at 23.97fps then encode the files to mpeg and add 3:2 Pulldown...I usually use a good Quality Video editor to Convert any 25fps AVI files I have to 23.97fps AVI files...Then encode the 23.97fps File to a 29.97fps Mpeg file with 3:2 Pulldown Enabled or convert it as a 23.97fps Mpeg file then use a small program called "DoPulldown" to add the 3:2 Pulldown...I know it sounds Complicated but it actually isn"t once you understand the concepts behind the Way digital Video works...So If I were you I would get a Good Quality Video editor Like Vegas Video 4 or Adobe Premier you can use is to convert your 25fps AVI files to 29.97fps Mpeg files with 3:2 Pulldown enabled then author them to DVD...You could also render the Files as 23.97fps AVI files then use Tmpgenc to encode it to Mpeg but that way you will loose some Quality unless you use a Lossless Codec like HuffyUV.......well Good Luck