1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc: Source file Interlaced or non-interlaced

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fabhpk, Feb 10, 2005.

1. fabhpk

fabhpk Member

Hi there

I´m curently enconding a few Xvid MPEG4 AVIs to dvd using the TMPGEnc. The wizard asks me some settings for the source file, like if it is an interleced or non-interlaced video type. I assume this corresponds to interleaved and progressive scan. Accordingly to the TMPGEnc, this setting will affect the resizing of the files. I don´t have the slighest idea of the video type my files have. How can I find this out? I used AVIcodec but could not get this sort of information.

Thanks for any help guys...

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Tmpgenc automatically detects this (and is usually accurate), don't change it.

3. fabhpk

fabhpk Member

It also detects the aspect ratio? As I understood, I should give this kind of information to the software...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Sometimes it's good with aspect, sometimes not.
    Load your file into Gspot and find out the source aspect. Then on the advanced tab in tmpgenc, use that source aspect, with "keep aspect ratio 2".
    On the Video tab, where it says aspect ratio, put in what you're going to watch it on. Standard TV is 4:3
    Just above that, put in the aspect you want the finished product to be, that is 720x480 for NTSC.
    Also put in the framerate. If your source is 29.97 keep it at that. If the source is 23.976, keep it at that, and in the "Encode mode" box, select 3:2 pulldown when playback.
    If you're in PAL land, keep framerate at 25.