1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGenc vs. Cleaner 5

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by skins38, Jun 17, 2002.

1. skins38

skins38 Member

Does anyone have anything to say about TMPGenc vs Terran Media Cleaner 5?

As far as I'm concerned Cleaner rules, it accepts ALL types of files, unlike tmpgenc which doesn't even take all my AVI files.

With cleaner a 10mb avi file comes out as a 16.9mb mpeg. With TMPGenc the same file is 100mb.

What's up? I thought TMPGenc was the shizzle???

2. skins38

skins38 Member

actually, gotta give it up for TMPGenc, after some more testing I found it produces about the same file size as cleaner 5, in a 1/4 of the time.

the newest version supports alot more avi files too,

3. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

skins38 , TMPGenc is the shizzle and as far as accepting your avi's you need to have divx codecs installed in order for TMPGenc to convert your files.....try downloading divx codecs 3.11,4.0,and 5.02.............

4. skins38

skins38 Member

I've alawyas had those codecs installed, but for some reson it would not accept most of my AVI files.

Here's what I did and it worked like a charm.

If you have an AVI file that won't open in TMPGenc Download VirtualDub, select direct processing and save a new copy of the AVI file. This should only take about 10 seconds per 100mb. Then save the new file over the old one and Voila! It works....

p.s. If you have a wmv file that won't open, rename it to asf, and it'll work.

peace

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

one more thing skins38 some of hose avi's may be done by (tmd,smr) right they have there own codecs and patches .......and just to let you know I have downloaded alot of avi's and I have yet to find one that doesnt work with tmpgenc (also because I have the codecs and patches for those type of avi's)

6. skins38

skins38 Member

Actually I was referring mainly to my Sopranos collection, i had about 30 episodes that wouldn't open.

what it was was windows XP had compressed the video files, because I hadn't watched them for so long. I just had to un-archive them.

7. dutch

dutch Member

Hey, you can actually decode or convert any file with TMPGEnc. This is the fastest and the best software out there so i would advice using it. All you have to is go to OPTION>ENVIRONMENTAL SETTINGS>VFAPI Plug-in.
    Then change the priority of DirectShow to 2 (yes 2, not 1, not 3). Make sure the rest is 0 , except AVI Compatibility Reader, that should be -2.
    Then just the files you want. Settings like shadow correction can be found under SETTINGS in the bottom right corner. This si also where you select what type of file you want (VCD!!!).