1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to big svcd for disk

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by herfy's, Jan 9, 2003.

1. herfy's

herfy's Member

i have just encoded my first svcd with tmpgenc but it made the movie from 150 mg to 1.2 gig and there is no way that that fit on a disk to burn so can someone tell me how to encode it to fit on a 700 mb disk and also which aspect ratio stops the people from being so long?any help would be great thanks.

2. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

You need to split your movie by using a third party program, such as VirtualDub 1.4 which is free. To locate the download, go to VCDHelp.com. You will find an enormous amount of instructions and information there. If you need some personal help after you get the feel of things, e-mail me at camera1@nycap.rr.com.

Rodgers

3. herfy's

herfy's Member

thanks rogers for your reply but i know i can split them to make them fit but that would make the movie 4 disks which i dont want .from what i have gathered is that i need to reduce my constant bite rate i think but i'm not sure and it takes so long to encode i would like some advice before i do it again on another rate.i have to avi files for one movie that are about 170 mb each and i need to encode them for dvd player and want to make them for svcd as i have heard thequality is much better.i hope this is enough info for some help.please!i'm a step by step kind of person so please be simple for me.

4. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

Don't worry about being a step by step person. Understanding what you want to do is the important factor. I am not able to help you with exotic transfers from one coding to another and what little I know about it, each time you convert something you lose some quality. What's the major problem of having 4 discs except for the time that is involved with the encoding? Maybe someone else on here can better enlighten you. I would stick to splitting the movies, even if you have 12 discs, if the movie is that important. Let me know how you make out.

Rodgers

5. herfy's

herfy's Member

thanks for your reply.i just know you can have the disks down to 2 or 3 disks so i would like to do that but i will use more if i have to.i am just learning how to do svcd and am interested to hear from anyone who can give me some settings.i tried another lot of settings last night but it was going to take 35 hours to encode one disk so i figured that wasnt right so any extra help along the way would be great.hope to hear from someone soon and thanks rogers for your suggestions.they never go to stray hear.

6. cJa

cJa Guest

hello m8,
    well like you i know not a great deal about encoding svcd's but while on a search to do the same as you :) just wanted to see for myself what a 1 disked movie quality would look like, but anyways back to your question, i DID find some sofeware that claims to do it with quote "virtually no quality loss" but is oly usalbe from dvd to svcd ad i wanted to do avi - vcd, the program is called DVD SQUEEZE and can esily be found via a quick google search, but if you have any probs finding a complete version then lemme know and we'll sort summat out for you - as long as u promise to lemme know what the final quality is like, as i still dot have a dvd rom yet cos my monitor blew during chrimo as well as having to sort prezzies for the kids etc

have phun,

cJa

7. herfy's

herfy's Member

thanks for the input.i'm going to have a look at that program dvd sqeeze but i dont think it will do what i want as i am to going from avi to svcd.i think i just need to learn about the bite rate as i have encoded one but was huge on the bite rate that is obviosly the default.but still willing to take any usefull info as possible as i print out every thing that might help and put it to the test,
    chris

8. huw

huw Member

Just jumping in on this thread, so not sure if this really answers your question.
    I have just recently sused out svcd burning. If going from an avi to Mpeg2 you will double the file size. You can cut in Tmpegenc by using the source function.
    You are correct about the CBR setting - you can reduce that & reduce the size of you file ~50 bits = 3% of a 700mb disc. I have also noticed that a 780mb Mpeg2 will burn to a 700mb CD - NTI CD Maker gives me this info - I'm sure Nero does too. So you can use this info in the splitting screen.
    Hope it was some help, but as I said, I am new to this as well. Frustrating, but fun when you get it right.

My vcd experiment were bad quality, but my svcd's are looking very good. :)

9. herfy's

herfy's Member

wow,thanks that is exactley the info that i was after and i also found an excellent step by step instructions as well on vcdhelp.com so between all the help i have recieved i think i did my first svcd cd successfully last night.the only problem i have now is that the movie i was doing is quite long so it will have to go on 3 disks with svcd so i encoded 3 quarters of first part then 3 quarters of second part then did the other 2 remaining parts which will fit on 1 disk to make a 3 disk movie but dont know how to join the 2 little bits to make one flowing section.so if anyone knows what the hell i'm talking about and has some suggestions rather than doing 4 cd's please let me know.
    thanks again every one