1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to buy a new pc or not

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jaynecobb, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jaynecobb

jaynecobb Member

hi all.

i was wondering if it is time to buy a new pc. my current system is a 6 year old sony vaio, pent. 1.8 win xp home, 80gb hd, and a 3 or 4 year old sony dru-700a dl-burner.

recently i have had some glitches happen in movie backups. the video freezes either at the beginning or end of movies, and sometimes data discs are corrupted in the burn cycle.

this problem has gotten progressively worse over the last 6 months, though it doesn't have an effect on every disc burned.

i've probably made around 1,000 dvd's (data discs and backups mainly). so i was wondering if maybe the whole thing is kinda hitting it's final strides in life.

any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks to all that respond.

2. onya

onya Guest

Sure the system is getting a little long in the tooth, but try a lens cleaner then Defrag the HDD(most important) and lastly, use slow burning speeds like 4X or max 8X speed and use Verbatims or other good media blanks. Give it a go and post back eh?

3. jaynecobb

jaynecobb Member

thanks for the quick reply.

i did a full reinstall of xp within the last 3 months. completely wiped everything. i can only burn at a 2x anyways. i defrag twice weekly due to the constant flow of data.

the bizarre thing is, after the reinstall i left off 85-90% of the crap that was on it before, but the speed is still insanely slow.

i thought that there would be a noticeable performance increase, but it went the exact opposite. there are times that it seems to run slower and hang up more.

thanks again for the reply!