1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dan111, Jan 3, 2004.

1. dan111

dan111 Member

hello all..i just purchased a 4040b today..it was 130 bux so i just impulse bought!1..anyway..its still in box and after doing some research..i'm thinkin' of returning it...waddya guys think..with the problems u post is it worth keeping??..i need it burning at 4x..thanx..dan

2. Makubex

Makubex Member

why didnt you research b4 u goon.

3. dan111

dan111 Member

i researched after i bought it..as it turns out..it gets solid reviews..and i updated firmware with np..and have burned at 4x no prob...it is quiet and fast..turns out all good for me..

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Makubex: watch your tone and play nice.

5. Makubex

Makubex Member

yo sorry bout prev. post, just a bit annoyed about my little problem, no one has answered yet :O

anyways, your dvd writer sounds pretty good to me, and cos its got good reviews aswell to back it up, then its definitely worth it. and for 130 bucks, what more could you want??? :D

6. Praetor

Makubex : thats fine but just remember that there are other people on the other end of those words ya know? Where's your post I might be able to help

dan111: I just realized that ur burner is an LG. I dont have any personal experience with LG dvd burners but if their job with cd burners is anything to measure by, their DVD burners, while it will work -- its really an issue of HOW LONG it will work for. Their CD burners didnt last that long. Of course, thats the downside of a cheap drive. If you can afford it, grab the Pioneer or Liteon burners for usually another $50
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  7. Makubex

Makubex Member

yo my problem is this....

I have a NEC 1300a and it reads dvds, written cdr/rw, written dvdr/rw fine! it reads everything aslong as its written on!!!

but ive got some blank dvd-rs which i can write on fine using nero, but when i try to access the disc through 'My Computer' (im running XPhome) it says, E:\incorrect function, and doesnt allow me to browse the blank disc :O

I know its not a biiiig deal, but its really annoying, also, when i put the blank disc in, it shows the CD-R symbol, but it says my drive is a CD drive!!!

Cheers :)

8. dan111

dan111 Member

praetor..ya..thanx for the post..i thought i was posting in an lg board..but turns out i wasnt!!..anyway..i have researched the drive..actually gets great reviews on toms hardware and tech tv..so..for 130 bux..i'll keep it..tho..if it fails...cheaps the reason why!..take care

9. Praetor

Makubex: In almost every single instance, you will not be able to browse a blank disc (just like the rest of us, we cant do it either). The only exception is if packet writing is supported by both the burner and the OS. Im not sure if WXPHome supports it (Pro does however).

Also, WindowsXP is a quirky OS when it comes to built-in burning capability. Many people claim to be able to burn fine. Many others have problems. Microsoft released an update to the IMAPI (which, FYI stands for Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface); that update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320174 Furthermore, Microsoft has adressed other burning issues with WindowsXP, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

One last thing you can check is that you have a properly installed ASPI layer. ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm CAUTION NOTE THAT JUST BECAUSE NERO INFOTOOLS OR EVEN ASPICHECK ITSELF SAYS THAT ASPI IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY IT IS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY IF THE VERSION NUMBERS DO NOT MATCH UP. ALL FOUR SETS OF NUMBERS HAVE TO BE IDENTICAL. If you are having issues with ASPI and updating to the latest version doesnt help, consider ASPI 4.60 (1021) -- it's the most stable and reliable build of them all.

10. bud2192

bud2192 Member

Research is a must when you're plunking down hard earned bank for a product. I just purchased a Plextor PX-708A. I had been familiar with the Plextor name for many years and they have always held the bar pretty high for their burners. My real point here is, that with enough research, you will find real story on just about any product from people who are out there using them. The old addage "all that glitters isn't gold" applies. I have discovered through experience that just cuz you see all these glowing reviews for a product doesn't mean it's all that and a bag of chips :) I have purchased products that were rated moderately but perform flawlessly for me. So with that said, if you are happy with your purchase...that's all that counts.