1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Buy or Not To Buy

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by princedvd, Aug 29, 2006.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

well I guesss I'll give u guys my opinion too... I'm a huge PS fan and I will no doubt be buying the PS3. Now I'm certainly not buying the PS3 for Blu-Ray cuz I dont trust sony's ability to market their products (remember mini-disk LOL)....HOWEVER, seeing that Sony is making a gaming console with Blu-Ray built in, I dont see how blu-ray will ever go away... well, at least not for another decade... Consider the life span of the PS, and PS2... right around a decade a piece... Even if PS3 lasts half that time, it would be worth me spending the 600 dollars on the latest gaming console that I LOVE, and get blu-ray which retails for more then that anyway... I just dont see how there is any competition??? for the duration of PS3, blu-ray is a guaranteed success... HD-DVD can offer no such promise.

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

@redZoneOS,

I only hope the PS3 is made in Japan. Right now, it is definately in my mind not to buy it, but if it is made in Japan, I will consider it. I only do not know about the BD player on it. It may be missing some features or require a $100 Blue Ray package (cheap remote control). You have a point that the PS3 may give Blue Ray some extra life.

@Dunker,

I forgot to mention...Toshiba is supporting Optware which are the founders of HVD and those Holographic cards. Maybe if HD DVD fails, they may go holographic in some way (Toshiba states smooth transition which could mean backwards compatibility with HD DVD). The Holographic cards are pretty cool too because they are about $1 for 30GB and the reader is only $2000.

3. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

@JaguarGod
    The PS# will be made in Japan, from what I've read. Which should mean averagely good quality.

And I agree with Bluray staying round even if it doesn't win the format war, as all games for ps3 are meant to be being released on BD the format even if it fails for movies will never really fail, and will last for a long time (maybe even longer then HD-DVD).

4. dvdS.L.S

dvdS.L.S Member

Three cheers for Dunker.Finally someone is making sense.
    I purchased a Toshiba upconverting dvd player to go with
    my Sony 50A10 hd rear projection tv and the picture
    quality is terrific.Not up to Hd quality but good enough
    to get me to want to rewatch my dvd's and see them in
    a whole new and better light.
    In my humble opinion to replace your dvd collection just
    isn't worth it,when upconverting will give you a really
    good picture.
    I can't see HVD taking off anytime soon either,no matter
    what the so-called experts say.

5. zest

zest Member

i just want to add my 2 cents, the toshiba hd a1 is also a very good upconvertor, it easly bests my oppo 971 and ive read several threads which owners of the venerable denon 3910 say the new toshiba hd a1 upconverts better than their denon.
    So for one third the cost ( of the denon )you get a great upconvertor and the latest tech. for hd-dvd movies.
    However the hd a1 doesnt care for scratched disks so im going to keep my oppo around for that duty.
    i agree about rebuying your dvd's for a new format, but this isnt the case with the toshiba , and a Hd-Tv should have a Hd-player as well dont you think