1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Convert AVI to DVD with Nero Vision 4 (basic guide)

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by alkohol, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txsfrbl

txsfrbl Member

To answer my question and maybe yours all I had to do was take the mpeg2
    file that I made in Nero Vision Express with fades, wipes and all and author it in DivXToDVD and burn it with Nero. Nice quality but I would like better... can't get everything for free.
    Gotten this far with everyone's help and a little bit of elbow grease (gotta watch out, elbow grease has been known to clog up chip heat-sinks.)

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

It won't hurt to update to the latest of Nero 6 Ultra, which is 6.6.0.18

Plextor burner is looking good -- rpc forum said 1.01 is the most current, so burner is fine.

Your media is missing? This should be a 3 lines with Media type, Disc Manufacture ID and Media id code. Out of curiosity, what kind of media did you used by chance?

I know this may sounds irrelevant, but it won't hurt to get "K-Lite Codec Pack", afterall it's free. Maybe nero sense a codec issues and thus it aborted your project. Nero is pretty sensitive when it comes to audio and all. I suggest you or anyone with "codec issues" get "K-Lite Codec Full Pack" here http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/ to run and tweak any MPEG2 or AVI files inprior to proceed with your project.

Well, have fun burning and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  3. txsfrbl

txsfrbl Member

@alkohol

I have been using TDK and Fujifilm DVD-R. Although a friend asked me to back up for him and brought me a Memorex DVD+R. After all I have heard about them, I almost refused him. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

Can you recommend a Free encoding program that will give me 'two pass'
    instead of one without a watermark (mpeg to VIDEO_TS)?

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Hmmm.... you can try TMPGEnc (it's free, I think). Other than that, I've only used Nero Vision 3, Nero Vision 4 and VSO DivXToDVD.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Hi Alkohol, hows it going? I think I got my Nero problem under control, will know for sure 2January. Is there any way you can get this guide returned to normal size, its a pain in the but in "Widescreen" Cheers.

6. z3n

z3n Member

I was going to start a thread asking if anybody would kindly show me how to convert all these Naruto episodes in my HD. Looks like you've read my mind Mr. alkohol LOL. Cheers to another kick-ass thread!

7. nrohes

nrohes Member

hey alky.
    getting really frustrated. Sorry for cursing before, but I didnt know who was viewing this. Won't happen again. I tried all of your suggestions for turning on the DMA or whatever, and I cant get the Advanced properties tab to say what yours says...I will show you what i have:
    for PRIMARY IDE (advanced settings):

Device 0 (this is exactly the same as yours)
    Device type (blacked out, but says Auto Detection)
    Transfer Mode: DMA if available
    Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1 (not the same for Device Type and Current Transfer Mode!!)
    Device Type: NOT blacked out, but says Auto Detection
    Current Transfer Mode: blacked out and says Not applicable

The Secondary IDE ADvance Settings is totally different than yours..

Device 0 (different than yours!!!)
    Device Type: Device type (blacked out, but says Auto Detection)
    Transfer Mode: PIO only
    Current Transfer Mode: PIO mode

Device 1 (exactly same as yours)
    Device Type: Device type (blacked out, but says Auto Detection)
    Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA mode 2

I uninstalled and restarted both the primary and secondary, but this keeps coming back. Does this even matter? I have no idea, so if you can shed some light?? Thanks!

oh, and I think the problem with the buffer underrun is definitely happening when the transcoding finishes the first video clip ad starts the 2nd one...any reason why you think this is happening here?

Thanks!!

nrohes

8. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@nrohes

Not a problem at all. In query to "under/over" buffer, make sure you run "scan disc" and "defrag" your hard drive everyday to prevent them getting under/over buffer run. Make sure you don't multi-tasks, close/disable any unnecessary applications/programs, and make sure you have tons of free memory ram available in prior to "converting/transcoding, or burning.

However, I strongly believe that both Primary and Secondary of yours needs to "uninstall" the drivers to enable DMA back On. Are you using Win XP/XP Pro? If you're using Win XP, then you shouldn't have any issues uninstalling them. I've just "uninstalled" my brother's DMA using the same guide I wrote and all of his DMA turns back to "On" and "Available" without any problem at all.

Here is what mine says. If all your DMAs are On, they should be identical to mine. Anything that says "PIO" or "Not Applicable" will need to enable back On by "uninstalling" its drivers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go here for more info http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038 or here is what you need to do:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

E) left click on "DRIVER," left click on "UNINSTALL"
    [​IMG]

9. strike101

strike101 Member

are they any way for Nero vision to speed up transcoding process ? i'm converting a few divx files to DVD.... usually takes around 4-5 hours ... DMA is on and etc etc.... no system problems cause i use it primarily on gaming....

do i have to upgrade to more memory ? or faster CPU ? i'm on a budget so can't afford much

my current system
    Intel P4 2.4Ghz
    1.0 Gb DDR PC400
    MSI I845Mobo
    Geforce 6800 256MB AGP
    2 x Seagate 160GB 7200
    Liteon 8x DVDRW

10. allmust

allmust Member

I have been using Nero Vision like this to convert xvid/svcd to DVD for awhile. I had to reformat my computer and now I can't get Nero to work right. The last couple xvid movies I have tired to convert come out bad. (although Nero says everything was alright.)

When I play the resulting DVDs on my computer they play fine but when I play them in my DVD player the audio is garbled. I have a phillips dvp-642 dvd player. Anyone have any ideas? Some conversions are coming out alright and others are now. Any help would be appreciated.

11. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@strike101, your comp specs look fine. Make sure that you do NOT multitask whilst Nero is transcoding, also if you have any spyware make sure it's disabled.

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@z3n

Give this guide a shot and you should be all square away.

*NOTE: remember that you'll need tons of memory ram, so make sure no multi-tasking, disable/shut off any applications/programs that's running in the background/startup, disable all icons at taskbar, make sure all your DMA are On/Enable/Available, etc. and make sure you do a "scan disc clean up" and "defrag" your hard drive in prior to proceed with your AVI project. Additionally, keep in mind to use high quality media, plus the latest firmware will help to prevent from getting coasters as well.

Good luck and happy holidays!!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@gwendolin

Right on buddy. See... now you're helping me, hehehe.

14. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@allmust

Seems like a codec issues to me, go here http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/ and get it to run and diagnose your AVI files in prior to proceed with your project.

Again, make sure you do a "scan disc clean up" and "defrag" your hard drive daily (or in prior to perform your project), no multi-tasking, disconnect from the net, disable/shutoff all other programs, etc., and make sure you have tons of ram available.

15. allmust

allmust Member

Actually I kind of figured it out. If I disconnect one audio cables going from my dvdplayer to my TV and leave the other plugged in the audio is fine. As soon as I plug the second audio cable in then the audio becomes garbled again. Anyone know why this would happen?

16. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Honestly, I'm not sure how that happened to you. Unfortunatly, I've never experienced any kinds of audio issues before, so I really can't tell you what's wrong. Otherwise, on your next Nero Vision project, you can have the audio settings to "Dolby Digital", to set it go here:

- click More
    - Video Options
    - DVD-Video and set to your desire audio results.

[​IMG]

17. ss81

ss81 Member

Thanks Alc. I got it to convert my avi to video_ts and burn to dvd. It only plays on my computers. Is there something i missed or i need to do. I would like to play this movie on my xbox. Thanks again.

18. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@ss81

What kind of media did you used to burn? It seems like a media issue to me, since you were able to have a successful burned and play it on your computer, but not on your standalone dvd player.

Out of curiosity, how old is your dvd player and what brand/model?

19. ss81

ss81 Member

I tried to play it on my xbox and it is a thompson which did not recognize the dvd. I also tried to play it on a sharp dvd player (bout 2 years old) where the dvd started but froze up.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  20. txsfrbl

txsfrbl Member

@alkohol

I hope whatever was cut from this thread didn't have to do with brainstorming my next one in this thread.
    As I said before, I had no problem finaly going from avi to playable dvd using Nero and DivXtoDVD...
    Now the problem is. I was using the custom mode while exporting my movie
    Mpeg2 video Mpeg audio 4.3 NTSC Frame 29.97 Size 512 / 384.
    Works fine.
    Now I tried using the DVD template and configured it to high quality and all just like you illistrated and guess what...I get an error about 2 minutes (movie time) into the process and my system bugs out.

In the Microsoft error signiture it listed mod name: ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.2180 offset 000342ce
    Is this process corrupt you think?
    Why do you think I'm bugging out when I try to import in 720 / 480?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.