1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To label o not to label ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by darkcast, Apr 26, 2005.

1. forkndave

forkndave Member

I can't prove it, but the general consensus is that's what causes the problems. I believe I have read it on some web site, but I don't remember where. It's not important anyway. I believe I'm done now.

Dave

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It is obvious that just because you don't think it is the labels then it isn't - period.

So what is the problem then if it isn't the labels?

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

yes labels can cause reading problems period....so why use them??? personally anything that affects my viewing pleasure isnt going to hang around long

unless you are claiming that one side of a label is so much heavier than the other side to cause it to be off balance enough to cause it to wobble....it doesnt have to be greatly larger, even slightly off centre will throw the balance out. Remember that dvd/cd's spin at a heap of rpm, it doesnt take much for them to get out of whack, splinter, and stuff your drive (and thats not a myth it does happen)

but if you fine tune your burn settings to accomodate the labels....????please explain????

4. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

what im saying is putting labels on a disc requires you to use very low speeds to get the copy to work right.i burned movies that worked fine at 4x and 2x then put a label on them and got skippy in certain parts of the movie.i then started burning at 1x then put labels on and no longer had problems.so without labels i could burn from 1x-4x with the labels i could only burn at 1x to get them to work right.

man,have youve been reading my post right?i was talking about the balance of the disc with labels on, not being the problems with LABELS.labels cause difficulty reading but not for that reason.i wouldnt suggest anyone using labels unless you know how to use them propperly.i get labels to work for me after having extensive use of them and seeing where they would work and wouldnt.most people dont like the hassle of trying to make them work.but im the kind of person that tries to get things that dont work and try and make them work.

and by the way i tested this balance theory out.i got a disc that didnt work with a label.took the label off(and it worked)then put 6(six) pieces of scotch tape on one side of the disc(on top side of course). then put that disc in player and started it.the machine was humming and vibrating like it was going to take off or something.so it is safe to say that disc was totally off balance,and the disc worked still,but didnt with the label on.

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

I stopped using stick on labels as I encounted some discs not playing correctly so now I buy printable discs and that has solved the issue plus it makes your back up look very professional as well.

6. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

what kind of printer do you need for printable disc?are they expensive(both the printer and discs)?

7. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

dataon premium discs are great for the price but unfortunately not easy to find.you can get 100 for about 20 quid.i used to get em for 17 quid per 100 but those days are long gone.

as for the printer,Argos sell one for 99.99 but thats probably neither the best price or printer.

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

Epson makes the R200/R300 series that work well. If you're in the US you can get an R200 for $80-$100. Sam's Club sells the R200 for $79.95 or something like that. I believe Best Buy is priced similarly. I've had good luck with Ritek and Prodisc (-R) and they are fairly cheap on line. I have not had good luck with Prodisc +R. The Riteks probably print the best closely followed by the Prodisc. I also have not had good luck with Optodisc.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Has anyone ever burned their discs with the labels already stuck on them?

10. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

thats funny,i was thinking about that the other day.would it make a difference if the label was on before you burn it?so the next time i burn a disc im gonna try that.i love experimenting with shit.like a kid doing a science project.

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I was just wondering because the burn should take into account the label is on, and may even iron out some 'imbalance' issues..............

Worth a shot I suppose, I don't use them at all but would be interested to hear of your results.............

Good luck sui-cyco..............

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  12. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

You can get a casio thermal printer at staples for around $49.00
    it will print simple text and symbols.I use this it looks great....

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

IMHO I am not sure this is such a good idea, there is a lot of heat generated inside a computer an putting a disk with a sticky substance on it will only make it get stickier, it may even shrink and cause your disk to warp.

14. Cupillac

Cupillac Member

I use labels from one of those CD stompers.
    Haven't had a problem YET. But now you guys are freaking me out. MY 30+ DVDs might end up being garbage! Yikes.

Though I have labelled some CD-Rs from a few years ago that seem to work fine.
    Oh well time will tell I guess.

15. rocky999

rocky999 Member

Here is what I do that seems to work out nicely - I use the frosted plastic "clamshell" type cases. They are very thin and allow me to put a lot of them in a custom made holder. I don't write anything on the dvd itself. Instead, I put my nice colorful label on the outside of the clamshell case. As long as I always put the dvd away before taking out another, which you should always do, it works fine. I get to use cheap labels and have nice colorful labels on my cases. I store the movies alphabetically. Also, I used to put labels on the dvds and did have problems playing some movies after the labels where on for several months or so.

16. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

17. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Okay I'll go against the grain here. I have put labels on all back ups. Up until Xmas all my backups (approx 250) had labels on them. After Xmas I now print directly to disc thanks to my great Epson R320 xmas gift. I have made back up's of back ups with the labels on them - some labels have been on for a year or more. No problems except for the occasionally CRC error which 99% of the time I get around by changing the settings in Decrypter. So far I have had good luck with the Neato labels I used.

18. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

your not going against the grain too much.i put labels on my discs too.like i was telling everyone else you have to put the labels on properly and know labels make backups harder to read so adjuting your burn settings to accomodate the labels works just fine.also some media handle labels better than others,like my sony dvd+r 4x.

anyway i tried doing a backup with the label on while burning it.it was a ps2 game,and it works fine.but now i realize that i cant make any conclusions.if the dvd burner adjusted the burn with the labels on cant be established because there is nothing to compare to.if i make a copy without the label on then put the label on and it works fine too,then no conclusions can be made.and im figuring it will work too.but anyway at least you know that having a label on while you burn doesnt prevent you from backing up a dvd.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  19. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Hmmm I just started using labels notably Avery brand and I stick them on by hand which isnt always perfect or centered perfectly. But saying this I have installed about 100 labels and all my players including my laptop all play the disks with no errors not one. I would say use the labels as they make the copies look sooooo much better and more professional. Its hard to explain to hollywood types on the airplane why you have movies with sharpie ink on them they give you the hairy eye ball and think your blackbeard himself with all the booty in the world. But I have fooled many people with my labels as long as they dont examine them closely or turn them over etc.

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have read about 2 different possibilities with label playback problem. The first being the possible off balance problem. The second is possible excessive heat buildup from the label absorbing the extra heat and warping the disc. I think the second is a more common problem. When playback starts to act up and you eject the disc it usually will be very hot. Once it cools down it will play again until the heat builds up again. Does it really matter which of the 2 actually cause the playback trouble??

Some members can use labels and never see a playback problem. Other have tried using labels and have nothing but read errors. It depends on how sensitive your player is. My player will play labeled dvd's. If others borrow them they usually have trouble with the playback. I'm waiting for my present Epson printer to die so I can buy an R320. Thats the best way to go if you want to have good looking dvds.

Jerry