1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Patch, or not to Patch. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by insaneiam, Apr 1, 2005.

1. insaneiam

insaneiam Member

Just wondering what everyone's methods are for backing up. Some games work fine without patching, while others require it. Is there a way to know other than trial and error (maybe an ongoing list on a website or something)? Or does everyone simply patch every time before creating the ISO, even if the game didn't need it?

Thanks.

2. vixen76

vixen76 Member

after i have ftp the game to my HD i use crax4 to create my ISO.. it automatically does the patching for you.. i then use dvd decrypter to burn it.. this way works really well for me..

3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Here is how I backup my Xbox Games,

Qwix Tutorial:

1) First of all, make sure that you have transferred the game you want from the Xbox to your PC.

2) Open up Qwix and click "Tools" on the left hand side

3) Click "Patch XBE" and then find the xbe file inside the folder of your Xbox game. Double click the xbe file to patch it.

4) Now go to "Create ISO" select the "Local Folder" radio button, and then browse to find the folder of the Xbox game on your PC.

5) Make sure not to go inside of the folder, so click the folder once and click "ok"

6) Lastly click "Create ISO" on the bottom of the screen and it will then create your Xbox ISO file.

Burning the ISO

1) Open up DVD Decrypter and click "Mode" then "Iso" then "Write"

2) Browse to find your Xbox ISO you have just created and double click it.

3) Now make sure your blank DVD disc is in your DVD burner and make sure to set the burning speed at 1x!

4) Click the write action on the bottom, let it burn the ISO to the DVD disc, and your done!

4. JaySrt4

JaySrt4 Member

I use clone xb and as far as I know I have never patched anything. Ive done starwars kotor star wars republic commando need for speed underground 2 xmen legends and mercenaries. (those are the only games I own so the only ones ive backed up so far) Maybe these games dont need to be patched but they all work fine. I also burn at 8x with no problems using nero. Can someone explain to me why you would need to patch it?

5. BR7

BR7 Regular member

I never patch anything unless I need too. I've backed up over 500 games, so I usually burn it and if its a no-go, then I'll put it on my stock xbox HDD to see if it works. If it still doesn't, I'll patch the xbe and re-upload the patched file to the HDD and re-test. If it's good there, I'll burn it back to DVD-R.

If it doesn't work after all that, I'll try different media and or burn slower/faster.

6. vixen76

vixen76 Member

I didn't realise there were so many different ways to make back-ups.. I pretty much stumbled upon my way and becasue it worked I stayed with it.. I am going to give a few other ways a go..

Thanks for the helpful info..

7. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Yeah, everyone has their own way of doing things. Just find "your" way and stick with it until it doesn't work, then try something different. Sometimes you have to do something different on occasion. Just gotta find your groove.

8. insaneiam

insaneiam Member

so does it 'hurt' to patch every single game that you try to backup? or is there a downside to patching?

Thanks ... all good stuff!

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

No downside what-so-ever... I have patched all of my games and have a very very high success rate...

10. insaneiam

insaneiam Member

cool .. thanks for the info everyone!

11. showan

showan Regular member

What about patching a PAL game to work on an NTSC xbox? Is there a program/patch/tool/method to do this? I have a PAL game that I haven't been able to get to work yet. Everytime I run it I get the flickering screen with no colour.

12. BR7

BR7 Regular member

Not sure about anyone else, but one time I patched about 20 games on my PC, one after the other, then burned them.. first 15 games or so, none worked.. I didn't even try the last 5. I thought at first it was my media since I bought a bulk of -R's, but redid those 15 that didn't work without patching and all worked.

Not sure if it was just dumb luck or what, but since that little incident I had, I burn first then patch if I need it.

13. bennyd

bennyd Member

This is a really dumb question but what file do u patch? Im guessing the default.xbe file, am i right?

14. modster

modster Regular member

Romeo thou art Romeo...

hehe.

Why dont you use c xbox tool and boxplorer?

here is what I do to back up my games:
    1. copy the games to the xbox hard drive using boxplorer
    2. I then ftp to my xbox and copy the games to my PC using FlashFXP
    3. I then use c xbox tool and create the iso file
    4. last, i use nero and burn the rom @ slowest spped 2x to my dvd-r

To test my back game:
    1. delete the game off my xbox hard drive
    2. insert the new burnt dvd-r game and turn on my xbox
    3. play the game for 30 minutes

no gliches or problems what so ever everytime.

Then I would use the backup dvd-r and copy the game back to my xbox hard drive. and it played great!

I reckon that somewhere along the line, the default.xbe is patched. don't know exactly, but like others have said, go with the method that works. hehe

hopes this help

15. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Instead of constantly patching, get a bios and a bios patcher to do it for you. It'll save you a lot of time.

16. joschez

joschez Regular member

I usually patch all my games. I patch anything that has *.xbe on the front folder, the following is from Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. I patched every one of the files in the yellos circle

[​IMG]

17. bennyd

bennyd Member

Well i havnt had ne problems with any games that i have backed up. All of them have worked just fine with my xbox. I have the M8plus_16 bios patched with EVtool. I was just wondering in case i got ne problems.

18. gammer92

gammer92 Guest

hey
    i dont meen to change da subject but i really need to know where i can download xbox games form
    so if sum one could be nice and tell me plaese dat wood be nice
    thanx
    gammer 92

19. joschez

joschez Regular member

where do you download xxxx from? same place.

20. gammer92

gammer92 Guest

can sum 1 please tell me where to download xbox games from?