1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To repair or replace...that is the question

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Gtimpany, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Gtimpany

Gtimpany Member

Our Vizio LCD 37" just took a nose dive. The set would turn itself on and off. Unplugging it and allowing it to discharge overnight helped, but only momentarily. I suspect it to be a power supply issue, perhaps related to a power surge.

My question is this: Is it better to try and replace the defective unit or begin looking for a new TV?

Thank you

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

find a place that does free estimates on repairs to see if cheaper to fix or buy new.

3. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Model VU37L is known for this.

I agree Can't really decide what do to till you find out what the problem is compare the fix price to the price you paid for the tv and how many years you had the TV.

Most places (around here) want at least $30 dollers just to look at a TV.

There may be some components failing in the power supply or one of the circuit boards that are causing too high a current pull.
    Without doing proper diagnostics, it is impossible to guess.

Out of warranty repairs on these sets can be very expensive.
    if the set is going to be expensive to service, it would be best to replace it with a known brand name that offers an extended warranty with local service. You will pay more, but you will have dependability and better quality.
    I vote for Samsung

4. dailun

dailun Active member

Agreed. I purchased an "open box" 46" Samsung Series 6 for a price that, including the 5 yr. extended was still substantially less than the new price.

I did the same with my 32" Sony XBR4. Shortly after I got it home, the XBR started having problems which required the replacement of the main logic board AND the LCD panel. I now have a "new" TV and paid less than I would have for a new TV.