1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to uniique1, xbox to laptop via av input

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Bobisnew, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Bobisnew

Bobisnew Guest

Hi i bought a dell angel usb tv tuner external (from dell), and it has a/v input for devices like xbox or ps2, from the forum topic "Xbox to laptop USB cable," You said that you can connect it to the laptop screen, which i can, but i'm not sure how to show video on my laptop. Tv works fine (with media center ed). i have dell xps2, pent. M 2ghz, 1 gig ram, 256 6800ultra video, 60gb, windows xp media ed. Could you tell me how to play games, with a program or whatever else. suprisingly dell had no idea what to do. I would really appreciate it if you could help. Thanks

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

If it has the connections then it should be possible. Sometimes the adapters don't come with every thing needed but I'll find out from you what you've got and what else you may need to play games.

First off, I need a link or a pic of the exact TV Tuner you have. The tuner should have come with software. Once you have the external source connected to your laptop, initiate the software intended for your device. The most I had to do for mine was select the type of video connection neded (either Composite or S-Video).

I have the Pinnacle PCTV USB adapter: WORKS GREAT!!!
    [​IMG]
    There were a couple things i needed in order to make it work...
    The audio composite connections (Xbox AV Cable) needed a splitter.

[​IMG]

That piece of equipment was used to connect my audio.

Everything else I needed was in the package, The USB cable and the adapter itself. If there is no software that came with your adapter, you might want to see if there is a download available on Dell's web site.

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

If you want an idea of what the qualit looks like (using an S-Video adapter) look at an FTP tutorial I made. The link is in my sig. I also have no lag when I play. Not even over a long time period. Just make sure that nothing else is running during ameplay to optimize the performance.

But get a link or something giving info and/pics about your adapter so I can try to help you troubleshoot.

4. Bobisnew

Bobisnew Guest

thanks....here is the link to the direct webstie from dell http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/P88546/en/intro.htm?c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen#overview

As you can see from the picture and detials, it has all the inputs no extra cable needed, but no software. The only way to watch tv is throught the windows media edtion, but their is no option of different inputs. Maybe theirs a different software that is available to select input that you can tell me of, and tis good to here that their is no lag. Thanks.

5. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

I would like to have TV on my computer would it be possible to buy a USB PCTV card and then buy one of those stand-alone aerials would i get TV or would i have to use the aerial on the roof ? Thanks

6. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@Bobisnew

Unfortunately, I don't have the Windows Media Edition but I guessing there should be a TV capture device with the O/S that can be used to display your games or maybe one for download on the net. "Probably the first o the two". I'll try to look online at the O/S features and get back to you. You could just call and ask DELL. "What can I use to capture TV shows with this adapter I spent my good money on from you guys" LOL. But seriously, whatever their answer is should be the one you live (or at least the program you need) to play your xbox on your laptop.

If you weren't sure, that'S the way the whole capture "thing" works. You connect the device and the program which primary intent was to let you view TV and/or record input from other external devices (i.e. Video cameras, xbox, vcr, etc) To play the games we just erase a step and and view the live stream of the device and we slaughter our friends in HALO!

The only issue for most users is finding an adapter that has very little lag during gameplay.

**edit: And of course no lag is always good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@J-Kwon

What's up J! How is everything? As for your question...as long as you have a cable coaxial connection available to plug into the adapter, "EASILY" seen on Bobisnew's picture" you should be fine.

I have cable internet so, my modem of course needs a cable connection for me to get on. I just put a splitter on that connection. one goes to me modem, the other to my internal TV card.

8. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

cable coaxial connection? The aerial from my roof is used in my HDTV so how would i go about the aerial could i buy one of the portable ones?

And Is that all i need a USB thing and an aerial?

am gud uniique, but i have no knowledge what so ever on TV on your computer :p

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

This is the kind of connection I'm talking about. This is what plugs into the PCTV adapter from the wall which supplies the cable.

[​IMG]

It plugs into the adapter.

I'm not sure what adapter you would be able to use with HDTV. Currently I'm stationed in Guam and we don't have that luxury...LOL. Only my movies are in HDTV. Hell, over here our cable TV is a week behind the states with the exception of certain channels.

10. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

so i need to get that cable that goes from my TV into USB PCTV so it comes onto my LCD monitor?

P.S I have a normal PAL tele in this room which isn't a HDTV, I'm in England which is probably more behind time than Gaum

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I wouldn't doubt it LOL...it's kinda sucks huh? At least some LIVE options are news, sports, and xbox if you play online.

Yeah, using a normal cable connection like the picture should work just fine. Way up at the top (my adapter) is one of the best via reviews plus, I say so (smile) between it and AverMedia. Anyway, TigerDirec has them both. I'm pretty sure they ship to England. I think they are worldwide when I was in Japan, it wasn't an issue but it can get kinda expensive. Maybe useful if you can't find one locally.

12. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Thanks again I will probably reply when I get one which might be in a good while for some more help. Cheers

13. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

J,
    Are you getting one for your laptop or Desktop?

**edit If it's for the Desktop, just get a video card with the capture feature

14. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

desktop LOL, but my original question was does it have to be a big aerial you put in or can it be one of those sh1tty little portable one? because i couldn't have the main aerial coming to my computer :p Thanks

15. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Aerial? Is that what is used for HD Cable?

16. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

I meant could I put an aerial like this into a TV Card if i got one [​IMG]

17. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Wow, I've never used one of thos...if it has the right connection coming from that, then yes.

18. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Indoor aerials their the future LMAO

19. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

SMILE...I trust you but I've been overseas (Asia area) since 1997 and, well, when it comes to TV especially HDTV, etc...and progression such as that...it hasn't been a luxury option. When I left Japan they were converting thing on base to work with the JAPANESE govt which took a while but now I'm in Guam and well, they are behind in a lot here. LOL. So you'd know better than me. But if it can't plug into the adapter, I don't think it will work.

20. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

uniique1 only joking with you indoor aerials have been around for years, but they have the same ends that go into TVs so I'd presume it will work I just didn't know if it had to be a Main aerial for e.g

[​IMG]

but my one of those has been taken up by my TV