1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Much Compression - Out Of Sync Audio! - Why?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Frankwm, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

I recently purchased the TDK Indicapture device, primarily to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD.

Thus far the only capture/record software that I have found, that recognizes the device, is ShowBiz(included with the device - not too great) & WinDVD Recorder 5 (seems to do a good job, so I am using it for capturing video from VHS at the highest quality). I capture/save in Mpeg2 format.

For burning to DVD I use CloneDVD2, because it allows me to split large Video_TS files by chapters, and thus burn one (long) movie to 2 disks without loss of quality due to compression. This I have done before with copying 2+ hour DVD's. I don't mind having to change disks halfway through a movie.

Now, herein lies my problem:

Using WinDVD Creator 2 Plat for authoring, at the "Make Movie" stage, if I choose the 1 hour DVD format option, it chops off the 2nd half of the movie that overruns the 4.7Gb disk size.
    If I choose the 2 hour DVD format option, it compresses a 2 hour movie to fit a single 4.7Gb disk, rather than leaving it uncompressed. I am, of course, referring to the Video_TS output files.

Is there any way to get WinDVD to output to Video_TS uncompressed? Or is this just overkill on my part, & a 2 hour VHS can fit on a 4.7Gb disk without loss of quality below VHS quality?

Alternatively, if I use TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6, with optional AC3 decode filter, to author the movie from the captured Mpeg2 file, the output Video_TS files are uncompressed, which is fine.
    Unfortunately, when I play back these Video_TS files, the Audio is out of Sync with the Video, even though the original captured Mpeg2 is IN sync.

Is there some way to fix this sync problem?

P.S. If anyone knows of any other recording software that works with the TDK Indicapture, please post here too. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  2. jmaclaren

jmaclaren Member

I take the mpeg output and demux with freeware PVAStrumento

http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm

This fixes the a/v sync you are experiencing
    the dvdauthorgui to make an iso dvd for burning.

I have searched for other recording software and like you and all others found only windvd recorder 5 that works.

Interestingly enough amcap - http://noeld.com/download.htm

which is a modification of ampcap that comes with the directx sdk shows the preview but cannot capture despite the code talking about mpeg capture. I dongt know enough about directshow myself to understand it.

I did communicate with Noel who wrote the code and he wasnt able to figure it out either.

this site
    http://www.codeproject.com/directx/MPEG2_Capture_Device.asp
    talks about directshow and mpeg capture but I wasnt able to build a filter following its directions.

I feel its pretty close just not quite there.

I am hoping smarter people than me will be able to explain this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004