1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool, to compare output quality of DVD Flick vs Nero vs ConvertXtoDVD ?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Gillers, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Gillers

Gillers Member

Is there any tool where I can measure the quality of a burned DVD for each of the above DVD Authorising Tools.

Basically at the moment I am using DVD Flick but just seeing is it worth investing in one of the other pieces of software.

Thanks

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

In my opinion,when it comes to that kind of comparison, no tool in the world is better than your own two eyes. It really doesn't matter what any gizmo might say on paper, is what you see. Definitely would not invest in Nero just to get a DVD authoring tool.

Convertx2DVD is a great piece of software, and might have a few more bells and whistles than DVD Flick, maybe a few insignificant minutes faster too...however, when it comes to quality/price/features, I find DVD Flick to win by landslide, since it is free and does a great job.
    Another free application that you may try is The FilmMachine, or anything that uses CCE or QuEnc. I have never used it, but some members here do like it.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/the_filmmachine.cfm

3. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Thought I'd put in a good word for AVStoDVD, which can be set up to
    use the great HCenc (it's included in the full install).

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

dvd flick being open source you can set up to use any transcoder you happen to have handy (learn some coding.. I have built my own and decided ffmpeg did a good enough job from 600MB avi's to not warrant using anything else) .. also unlike convertx it handles multi subs and audio.. up to 4 .. and there must be 1000 user created menu templates on their forums.

All flick actually is when you take it apart is a gui front end for transcode (using ffmpeg.. or you can use another.. it was originally built to use mencoder, which isn't anything like as good) and dvd-author.. 2 well known tools from foss world.

So.. freeware.. thousands of free menu templates.. multi audio and subs streams.. open source.. what's not to be a winner there?

btw.. you can do animated menus with flick if you are really crafty.. but I find it easier to make those using command line tools in the no-M$ world ;)

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

When you have something like Flick, paying for any software to do the same job,to me is like going to an open-bar party and paying for my own beer...kinda senseless...

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Although not free CX2D can do do things that Flick can't even dream of. The Video Resize options alone are worth the price of admission.

CCE and QuEnc? Both passe. For high quality encodes HCenc free) is the only way to go. AVStoDVD (use HCenc) is also free and it's versatlity (many included options for resizing and picture adjustments), encoding and menuing is head and shoulders above DVD Flick.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Admission price? I don't think so, if I spend that kind of money, might as well buy a Divx capable player, and forget about converting and quality loss, time spent and wasted discs...Buy a damn player for the same money, already have a little USB drive laying around, and there you go.

8. jojo12

jojo12 Member

with dvd flick, I was able to creat VOB file on c drive but it was not burn to DVD to be palyed on regular DVD , any help??

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Manually burn the Video_Ts folder that DVD Flick made, use ImgBurn.