1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba ColorStream tv ; no picture-no sound

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yankfan, Nov 22, 2005.

1. yankfan

yankfan Member

My mother owns a Toshiba ColorStream TV (mod #27A34)that is 17 months old. A couple of days ago she noticed that the picture seemed faded or was fading. At some point (and I don't know how this happened) she lost sound and picture. I cycled thru Video 1,2,3,Colorstream thinking she hit the tv/video button by mistake. Still no sound/picture. She told me that when she had the menu screen up, the word "replace" came up. I could not duplicate that. Anyone out there got any ideas? I've already tried going thru the owner's manual, and following whatever instructions there are. All connections to cable are secure. Factory settings are in place.

2. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

3. yankfan

yankfan Member

Sorry, there isn't anything else connected. No vcr, no dvd player--just the tv. I'll check the link you sent. Thanks.

4. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

What is she feeding the TV with? A cable or Sat box? have you tried hooking in another device like a vcr or dvd player? Do they work? If not, try doing that.

It is possible that the TV died.

I have a Toshiba 50A75 that my DVD player feeds into the ColorStream (componet) input. this set is 3 - 4 years old and has been great.

5. yankfan

yankfan Member

Nothing but the tv hooked to cable. The Toshiba support guy told me to try unplugging it for about 5 minutes then plugging back in to see if it resets...tried but no luck. My mother had it on about 20 hrs a day, so in all liklihood it's just burnt out.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Actully thats the last thing you should be thinking about. A mid-grade CRT should last at least 50,000-60,000 hours. 60,000 hours is the equivalent of watching the tv for 10 hrs a day for 18 years! 20 hours a day would be 9 yrs. Remmember, thats how long a mid-grade lasts. Good CRTs, like Sony and Toshiba, can last for 100,000+ ours.

It souds like you may have gotten a lemon.

Have you tried the cable connection with another tv? do you get static when you detach the cable from the tv?

Ced

7. yankfan

yankfan Member

yep, plugged in another tv and everything was a-ok.