1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba HD-A2: Is this a firmware problem?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by waltinvt, Oct 18, 2007.

1. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

Ok, this is what it's currently doing (still has 1.1 Firmware):

1) For Commercial HD-DVD (The Matrix Trilogy):

With DVI / HDMI: It starts out with video & audio but looses video after a few minutes or less. Can still hear audio. If I press stop and then resume or play, the video comes back for a few more minutes.

With Component: No video or audio problems that I can see.

2) For Commercial SD dvds ("Open Range"):

With DVI / HDMI: Same as with HD-DVDS. Starts out ok but looses video in few minutes. Can stop / resume to get it back but it doesn't stay. This happens even if I reduce to 480p

With Component: No video unless I manually reduce picture to 480p

3) SD-dvds I burned with Panasonic E-85 from satellite HD source through S-Vid output:

With DVI / HDMI: Good video but audio only comes through optical.

With Component: Both Video & audio fine.

So it seems to up convert my home-grown dvds ok, just not the commerical ones. Also, I checked and my tv does support HDCP. I'd just like to get the A-2 working properly through the DVI input.

BTW, I appreciate anyone that has the patience to help me out with me on this.

2. error5

error5 Regular member

3. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

This may be a clue.
    I just downloaded the firmware from the link in your reply and I noticed that the iso file actually has a slightly different name than the one I tried before (also from Toshiba).

The one I just downloaded is HD-A2-2501N.iso while the one I had previously tried (that wasn't accepted by the A-2) was HD-A2-2.5.iso.

Hope this makes the difference.

4. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

I don't know whether it's me or the player but it will not accept the upgrade.

I think I burned it ok. I printed the instructions and followed them carefully. The A-2 gives me the "ver up" message and after I reply "yes", it gives me the "upgrading do not turn off" message. After about 2 minutes or so, it then gives me the error code "2007c00f", same as last time. I've tried this 3 times now.

5. juankerr

juankerr Member

6. error5

error5 Regular member

Excellent suggestions juankerr. I've seen those reports of that error message at avsforums and ISO Recorder at 2x was how some of them solved the problem.

7. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

Thanks. I got it and used 1x (to be safe) and that solved the problem.

However after all that firmware 2.5 didn't solve the HD-A2 problems.

It still won't play standard dvds (commercial or my burns) through component unless I manually reduce the resolution to 480p.

With HDMI to DVI it still will only show video for a minute or so and then it stops. No audio at all except through optical.

I may try a different HDMI-DVI cable but I don't know what else to do.

8. juankerr

juankerr Member

What's the model of your HDTV?

9. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

It's an RCA 34" wide-screen crt HDTV. I bought it through Dish Network under their HD-in-a-Box promo about 3 yrs ago. It provides pretty decent HD quality via the Dish 622 receiver into the other component connection and I haven't had any TV related issues with it.

10. club42

club42 Regular member

Even with the latest firmware people are still is having HDMI to DVI problems. Hopefully this will eventually get cleared up with the next couple of firmware updates.

11. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

Well I've tried a straight HDMI to DVI cable and a brand new HDMI cable + brand new HDMI to DVI adapter and nothing changed - it still looses video after a few minutes of playing.

It almost acts like it's discovering something it doesn't like (maybe copy protection) and then it quits.

We watched the HD-DVD of Transformers last night through the component connection and it played fine but HD dvd was only half the reason for getting this player - being able to up convert the 200+ standard dvds we have was the other and without a HDMI connection apparently we can't do that.

12. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

Well I assummed it was a problem with the A-2 and exchanged it for an A-3.

So far the A-3 has played my HD dvds and upconverted my commerical standard dvds fine over the HDMI > DVI connection. I'm a happy guy.

There is one problem that I'm hoping is just a settings or firmware problem - my own dvds that I've burned from my Dish Network HD premium HD channels onto my Panasonic E-85 recorder are not up-converting or filling the screen on the A-3.

13. hannah04

hannah04 Member

I've run into this problem with my mitsubishi 48" With hdmi to dvi the problem is the hdmi to dvi the player dosen't like the converting to dvi I have the same player. I jusy upgraded to a panasonic 58" plasma and I have had no problems with the player. Of course its hdmi to hdmi.

14. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

The workaround seems to be changing the picture to 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox in the A-3s setup menu.

15. reelism

reelism Guest

hello,
    i have the same problem except I lose audio and than the video plays. I have downloaded the latest firmware 2.7. I have a toshiba A-20 connected to a samsung 47 1080p via hdmi. help