1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba HD-(x) [A1/XA1/D2/A2/A20/XA2/A2W/A3/A30/A35] firmware update (faq thread)

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by diabolos, Aug 10, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Thanks for the info Ced. My unit's doing well with the 1.4 firmware but the addition of Dolby TruHD 5.1 will be very welcome. I've been using the analog out like dblbogey7.

3. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

I agree with you both - Dolby TruHD decoding will be a real plus. I had the original firmware when I got the machine. Installation of the 1.4 version thru ethernet was pretty straightforward and easy.

4. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

Man no 1080p

5. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I'm interested in a Toshiba HD-DVD player but I'm curious about these firmware upgrades. How hard are they to do? I know sometimes it requires a company person to make an appointment and come to your house. I've also heard of burning to cd-r and booting from there. There is probably a download from the ethernet on the HD-DVD player but I don't think I will be able to connect it to my home network. Hopefully its not that complicated. Otherwise I'll wait for next years players.

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

As of today the version 2.0 firmware has not been released yet but.........

......a "bootleg" version is available for download. You can burn it on a CD-R and run it on your machine. Several AVS forum members are raving over the improvements. I haven't tried it myself and will probably wait for the "official" version.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=685252&page=51&pp=30

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Awsome. I think the title needs to change then since its no longer a rumor.

Everyone, thanks for keeping the thread upto date and on purpose.

Should this thread become a firmware fax thread?
    Ced

9. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

what is the use of an ethernet port on a DVD player? Is it for downloadable and interactive content? That sounds like something that might be made of use more in 3 or 4 years but probably not enough of a reason to get my broadband company to rework my home network for $50.

10. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

I just upgraded to the 2.0 firmware and I am pleased to report that Dolby TruHD (thru 5.1 analog) is as good as advertized. You can also get DolbyTruHD as decoded by the player thru HDMI. I just needed a few settings adjustments on the the player and my preamp and I was good to go. The DTruHD soundtracks on Constantine and Training Day were absolutely amazing. Anyone should hear a difference b/w DTHD and DTS given the right equipment. I don't really see that much video changes but I'll re-check with DVE later.

Future titles that are scheduled to have Dolby TruHD soundtracks are Troy, End of Days, The Fast and the Furious, and 2 Fast 2 Furious. There are others that should be released Oct and later.

Ced - that's good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

A news report from High-Def Digest...
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Hardware/Toshiba_Firmware_Bug_Reported/199

[bold]Warning[/bold]

Toshiba Firmware Bug Reported
    Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 03:15 AM ET
    Tags: Hardware, Toshiba (all tags)

Though Toshiba's latest firmware upgrade for its HD DVD players was released this past Friday to positive reactions from early adopters, a major download issue has emerged that threatens to render the device permanently inoperable during installation.

Turns out that the simple act of leaving any kind of disc in the tray during the ethernet upgrade process apparently can cause both the Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-XA1 models to stall during installation, then subsequently "lock" the machine on the "Welcome" screen. Once the bug is activated, the player is no longer operable and must be sent back to Toshiba for repair.

The only exception is when an actual firmware upgrade install CD is placed in the tray during installation, in which case the bug is not activated.

Note that this problem has also been reported on all previous firmware updates issued by Toshiba, so precautions must always be taken to not leave a disc in the tray when installing any upgrade via ethernet, regardless of version.

The bug was first reported in this detailed thread at AVS Forum, where users have since begun offering various helpful tips on how to avoid the problem.

Apparently, Toshiba has also been made aware of the bug, and has been offering to repair players rendered inoperable during installation free of charge. However, no official word has not yet come if and when Toshiba will fix the actual download code itself.

In the meantime, should you have already experienced problems with the firmware upgrade, or suffered a complete lockdown of your unit, you can contact Toshiba directly via their official website.

Ced

12. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Thanks for the heads-up Ced. No problems upgrading here to FW 2.0 using ethernet with NO DISC in the player. This issue was brought up when avsforums users upgraded to 1.4.

Dolby TruHD gets a great review here:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_introducingdolbytruehd.html

BTW - I used analog 5.1 to get Dolby TruHD.

13. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@eatsushi:
    Did you notice any video improvements with the 2.0 on your SXRD?

14. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

No changes on my setup but I've heard the 720p output has been improved.

15. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

From Toshiba Customer Service: The 2.0 Firmware disc is in the mail.

Although I've upgraded to 2.0 via ethernet I still sent in my request card for a firmware CD to Toshiba. I got an e-mail from them today saying that the CD-ROM with the 2.0 Firmware upgrade is on its way. Anyone who has purchased the HD-A1 or XA1 should send in the firmware CD request card to Toshiba.

Here's part of the e-mail:

Note that it adds support for network delivered content in future releases aside from audio and video improvements.

16. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

A first-hand report from a friend and from other internet user sites indicate that the Toshiba 2.0 firmware works fine with the RCA HDV-5000 HD-DVD player. This is understandable since the RCA is just a rebadged Toshiba.

17. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

18. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

No problems with the upgrade to 2.0, i'm really enjoying the Dolby Digital Plus lossless sound.. I have noticed a vast improvement with load times........

19. diabolos

diabolos Guest

20. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Thanks for the heads-up Ced. I just updated my XA2 this weekend even though I wasn't experiencing any of the problems.