1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba Satellite 1130 Laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jjustin77, Jan 13, 2007.

1. jjustin77

jjustin77 Member

Hi there everyone.I bought a second hand Satellite 1130 laptop not too long ago and it worked fine for a while but then it died on me......When I power up the laptop the power light on the front lights up but nothing else. The laptop knows it is switched on as the DVD/CD Drive scans for a disc and the cooling fan starts up but nothing else happens. The screen remains blank and I cannot do anything with it. When it was working I noticed when it was powered up the hard drive light on the front of the laptop used to blink a few times then it would load the operating system. THIS LIGHT DOES NOT EVEN COME ON ANYMORE. This made me think it may be the hard drive that had died but I was told that if that was the case the laptop screen would have at least a curser in the top left hand corner of the screen and it would be waiting for a command from the user.
    ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRIECIATED............

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

No it would say ntldr not detected or something close to that, yours doesnt seem to be booting to POST. I get this all the time in the computer shop i work in. It is either.
    - A bad Power Supply,
    - A blown Capacitor on the motherboard.(whcih youd have to manually check each by your self) (and im not recommending it enles you know hwo to take apart a laptop your self)
    - A bad power supply possibly but unlikely.(which is semi good news casue the data is recoverable.)

3. jjustin77

jjustin77 Member

Thanks for the reply. I do not think it is anything to do with the power supply as I have tried 2 power leads and 2 different batteries and still the same thing happens.You suggest that there may be a capacitor blown on the Motherboard. Is it viable to purchase a new capacitor and have it replaced or is it a case of needing a new motherboard and paying to have it replaced, in which case would it be worth getting a new laptop ? ? ? ?