1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD4980 UPCONVERSION VS Bravia KLV-S40A10

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by UT_CK, Jan 19, 2006.

1. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

I have the Bravia 40inch LCD KLV-S40A10, it has a native resolution of 720P, but can display an HDTV 1080i signal.

Sneaking in a question here: :)
    The one thing I am a little confused about is my resolution the Bravia spec... it claims to be able to do 1366 X 728 ... How does that tie in ?

Back to the subject:
    My DVD player can upconvert to 720P or 1080i using the supplied HDMI cable. I used to have a 480i setup.

When I set my HDMI on the DVD player to 480p it does not look as good as the 720P or the 1080i setting. I am assuming that my Bravia is upconverting that 480p signal to 720P. Or maybe it doesn't ?

I know I need an HDMI input to my Bravia (to improve the quality).. ie digital no compression, however which will do a better job at up converting ? (they both are very recent technologies)

About ZOOM and BRAVIA:
    The Bravia also has the capability to wide-zoom 4:3 to fit 16:9, zoom true widescreen to fit the 16:9, and also zoom the entire content if necessary to fill the entire 16:9 viewing area. I also have a zoom capability on the dvd player up to 3X. The zoom quality is dependent on the bitrate quality of the DVD itself, however I have been able to zoom in on an HDTV broadcast and the Bravia Zoom is flawless on good HDTV progams.

Any replies are welcome,

Thanks.
    CK
    { : (B)

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I talk about HD-Upconvertors at length in this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/283440

It can't reproduce a 1080i image. It can except a 1080i signal though.

1366x768 is how many pixels it has (and how they are arranged Width : Hieght).

What are you asking? The Bravia can't make a 720p image from an analog 480i/p image. It will try but fall short because of the information loss inherent in an analog trasmition.

That sounds about right. 720p and 1080i are both superior to 480p. It why you bought the upconvertion DVD plyer right?

For the best picture leave the Bravia in 16:9 mode. Also make sure your DVD player is outputing a 16:9 signal and not a 4:3 signal.

Ced