1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Beginner Returns for More Advice (Please!)

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by MrG, Feb 17, 2004.

1. MrG

MrG Member

Hi folks , I recently fitted a Pinnacle PCTV PCI - a pretty basic card but ok for what I need , transferring VHS onto VCD.
    My problem is that some (but not all!!) videos are capturing as speeded up (kinda like holding fast forward on a VCR)
    This is a non tape-specific problem i.e. it's happening to some PreRecorded and some "home" tapes
    (but not to all of them!)
    Any ideas or advice folks ??
    Thanks in advance

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

So is this Speeding up Happening in the Captured File or when you are watching the VCD Movie on your DVD Player/TV?? What Software are you useing to Capture the Video and to what Format are you captureing to???

3. MrG

MrG Member

Hi Minion - Speeding up happens when watching/checking the captured file.
    I'm using the software that came with the card - not
    earth-shattering by any means but again, ok for the current task (I think!!!)
    Lastly - Format is mpeg1 for vcd - my PC'c only got 12gb to spare so I've kinda steered away from AVI.
    I should add here that some tapes I've transferred have been fine. :eek:)

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Have you tried Watching the Captured File useing a Different Software Movie player??? Have you tried different Mpeg capture software Like WinDVR 3 for example???

5. MrG

MrG Member

Yep - I viewed them with Windows Media Player - same result.
    And I tried some captures using Virtual Dub - still same results !!
    Any further ideas ??
    Thanks in advance (again!)

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you get the same results useing 2 seperate Capture Programs then the Problem is Probably with the Capture Card or your Hardware in which Case I can"t help..If you have another PC then try putting the Card in that PC and see if you get the same results and if you do then it is most Likely a Problem with your Capture device or some other settings....well good luck

PS: you can also try useing different Drivers for your Card because the Pinnacle Drivers suck really bad and you can get genaric BTWinCap drivers for your card that work Much better here :
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/btwincap/btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.6-1.zip?download

7. MrG

MrG Member

Ok Minion I've downloaded and installed the drivers you suggested.
    The Pinnacle bundled programs have stopped working.
    So what can I do now ??
    Hope you can dig me out here !!

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes the Crappy pinnacle Software will not work with these Drivers But allmost every other Program will work with these Drivers so Use a non-Pinnacle Capture Program Like WinDVR 3.0 for Mpeg or Virtual-Dub for AVI..If you only have a little Disk space and have a fast enough PC you should Try WinDVR 3.0 as it is one of the Best Quality Mpeg capture programs and will produce Much better results than the Software that came with the card ever could.....Cheers

9. MrG

MrG Member

Hi Minion - Can't believe I'm back here with more problems !! But you've given great advice so far so who am I to question your munificience??!!
    I installed WINDVR3 it has been working fine for both capturing and burning...BUT has now started refusing to burn my captured mpeg files...an error message (of sorts) pops up right at the end of the burnung process saying "WINDVR is unable to complete the burnung process due to some error" (Yeah, REALLY helpful message ,what ??!!)
    Any ideas ,your greatness ??

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Best thing to do would be to not use WinDVR 3.0 to Burn, I personally have never used it for burning because Intervideo isn"t Known for there Burning software, so you should use something a Little More reliable......Cheers

11. MrG

MrG Member

Hi Minion - Yep ,I've tried Nero..it burned the discs
    BUT they're playing at "fast forward" speed (a 50 minute vcd in les than 1 second !!)
    Help !!