1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Newcomer to DVD Burning Seeks Information

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by johndoc, Sep 12, 2004.

1. johndoc

johndoc Member

Hello All, I have just registered with this site today. I am about to buy my first DVD Burner (was considering the Plextor PX-721A).

I am confused about the different standards of + and - and about compatability issues and would be very grateful if you would point me to somewhere on the web that has simple explanations of all relevant terms and hardware requirements for DVD burning.

In other words, is there a 'DVD Burning 101' or 'Burning for Dummies' site anywhere out there on the web?

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

DVD-R and DVD+R are two diferent formats using diferent disks as well, sort of like VHS and Beta for tapes. The disks are same size but NOT interchangeable for single mode burners. Dual mode burner can burn either, but your choice would be compatablity with set top or other players that are going to be reading the disks. Quality is similar, but + may be potentially a bit faster burning, and - enjoys greater compatability with players (especially older ones).

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

There are plenty of burning guides here on Afterdawn.
    Oh and a few dummies too..! hehe

4. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Yes, guides right here on Afterdawn.com
    Shrink and Decryptor guides most helpful, and forums to answer your questions.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The 712 is the best SL burner on the market as far as I'm concerned.