1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total novice setting up Denon 2805

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Charles1M, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Charles1M

Charles1M Guest

First time setting up Home Theater apparatus. I can get sound from a CD via the DVD player, and I can get sound from the radio, and that's it. Here's what I have:
    Denon 2805 receiver
    Sanyo DVR700 DVD player
    Sanyo flat screen TV
    Martin-Logan Mosaic floor speakers
    Polk Audio center channel
    BIC Venturi surround speakers-wall mounted
    (Sub Woofer purchase pending - would be intrested in recommendations; am looking at Cerwin-Vega HTS 10)

I have component cables for connecting the DVD player to the Denon and he Denon to the TV--but when I do this there is nothing but snow on the TV.

Can anyone help me with getting the receiver, DVD and TV in sync so I can use the home theater mode? Also, will I be able to use only one remote, or will I need to keep all 3 remotes?

I have read the manual and am confused about assigning the various components, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Matt

2. ghost640

ghost640 Member

I have a 2805 that I set up around Christmas, I remember it was not trivial!

There are special ports for Component In and Component Out - they differ from the banks of RCA ports on the left side (looking at the back). You may also need to tell the TV where the signal is coming from (I assume you can toggle through input sources on your TV) - maybe this is set incorrectly.

I have Outlaw Audio's LFM-1 subwoofer, it's a great piece of equipment at a very reasonable price (www.outlawaudio.com)

Good luck!

3. a-vman

a-vman Member

As far as your video problem goes, the 2805 up-converts everything to component, so you only need one set of cables for video to the TV. The Denon 2805 is marked on the rear for component monitor out. Plug these into the input on your TV and be sure to select that input with TV remote(you won't have to change this once its set, the 2805 will do the video switching when it switches audio). You will need to make a note as to which location you use for other units like DVD and satellite. When you use your on screen set-up you can assign video inputs to the proper locations.
    The same is true for Digital audio inputs. Make a note where they are hooked up and assign these in the on screen set up menu.( Never try to set up the 2805 without the on screen menu)
    You may also need to turn on the digital output in your DVD player, etc...
    For the sub-woofer it all depends on the budget. If you are on a budget try anything from Reel acoustics. These guys are fairly new and their subs pound hard. a lot of us in the custom buisness are using them with most systems we install. If you want to step up a little, go with Velodyne. Both of these companies started out making subs only.
    If you have High speed internet, get yourslf a Harmony 688 remote. You can find them at Best Buy or many custom stores. This will not only get you down to one remote but one button push for almost everything you do.
    Good Luck

4. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hey Charles, what's up with your system? Got a signal yet?

5. Charles1M

Charles1M Guest

The system is at the beach house, and I'm here existing between a cube and a hotel room--working to pay for the beach house :)

I won't get a shot at trying your suggestions for a couple more weeks, but I'll post a message to let you know how it's going after that. I have had some time to do some reviews on the manual, which IMO could be a lot friendlier, especially on the assignments.

I am looking at Velodyne, Outlaw and some of the other subwoofers that have been recommended as well.

Thanks to all, I'll post results soon.

6. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Hey
    just a side note here,
    Denon upconverts s-video and composite videos to component output but that does NOT improve the original signal.

For example, if you are sending a composit signal (single yellow video cable)out of your DVD player and into the Denon, THEN send the signal out through it's component cables (red, green, and blue)to the TV.. It will work just fine, but the best quality signal you will be getting is limited by the composit cable. It is "upconverted" to the component cables but the quality of the picture will remain the same (that of the original composit cable).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2005
  7. a-vman

a-vman Member

Razz is right, the term "up-conversion" is loosely used. There is not a video processor up-grading the signal. The better term would be re-route.

8. Charles1M

Charles1M Guest

I will have component cables connecting the DVD/Cable reception to the 2805 and the 2805 to the TV. I assume this way I can get the best picture the TV/cable in combination can provide.

9. a-vman

a-vman Member

Charles you are correct. The component cables are the best analog connection and the 2805 will switch them with 0 signal loss.

10. Charles1M

Charles1M Guest

BTW Does anyone know anything about the Nakamichi SW5 Active Subwoofer? I found out I can get one free in exchange for some credit card travel points I've been accumulating.

11. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Back to the video upconverting issue -

I have found that I get a much clearer picture when I route from my satellite receiver directly to the TV, rather than in and out of my Denon 2805. Looking at the letters in the TV listings, they are quite a bit fuzzier coming out of the A/V receiver. So I use the receiver for the audio component (it's really good at that...), but route the video directly.

It makes sense that you can't improve the quality of an RGB signal by converting it to components (a silk purse/sow's ear kind of thing)

12. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

[bold]Ghost[/bold],
    What type of connection is it?
    Are you using identical cables on both ends?
    This is interesting to hear considering Denon states there should be NO signal loss at all. But seeing is beleiving!

13. a-vman

a-vman Member

Have to agree with Razz, of all the Denon pieces I have installed since they added the up-conversion feature, I have not seen any evidence of signal loss. Most likely thing is a cable problem, but your unit could have a problem in the conversion circuit. Early 2802 or 2803 models (can't remember which) had a possible groud problem that caused "noise" on the component output, haven't heard of any on the 2805's though.