1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tOTALLY MESSED UP MY XBOX...GOT ERROR 5..HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by opticspy1, Aug 24, 2009.

1. opticspy1

opticspy1 Member

So I went and softmodded my xbox like everyone else. I had it working like a dream...untill I wanted to upgrade the HD.

When I first installed the mod I went ahead and ran a backup of the C drive and stored it on my computer. Now the method that I used was XBOXHDM +NDURE 3.1. (which installs UnleashX). I went to clone the drive using the same copy of XBOXHDM that I used to softmod and it said that my hard drive was locked so..I went and used Slayers auto installer 2.6 and unlocked the drive using that.

Well after I cloned the drive my computer went all wacky after it was completed and now when I boot up the xbox I get an error 5 which is can't unlock the HDD. When I put the 40GB drive (the one I wanted to replace the stock drive with) it gives me an error 6 wich is can't lock the hard drive. I don't have an eeprom back up because I forgot to do it. I've been researching how to fix this issue for the past 4 hours and am having no luck.

Does the backup of the C drive I made using UnleashX before I unlocked it going to contain the eeprom? Is there a way out of this mess? I have very limited cash flow...like none at all and I got the box for free...don't have enough money to get it hard modded using a mod chip...so is there anyway to fix it using my computer, programs I can download off the internet, and the XBOXHDM copy I have?

Oh and I also forgot to mention that I downloaded and made a copy of XboxHDM without NDURE that contains the original MS Dash files.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

and you aren't capable of looking through a few searches and working it out? How about in the ndure readme.. that will even tell you where your eeprom backup file is.

3. opticspy1

opticspy1 Member

I didn't post this thread to be told the obvious. I read through the read me file and it assumes that you kept the backup on the xbox hard drive.

There is a chance that I may have over looked it because of my total frustration with this...so I will go and read it over again.

I've searched the threads as well as other sites and all I can come up with is to hard mod it, but I keep thinking that there's another way. I would just like to be pointed in the right direction if it's possible to be able to recover from this without hard modding.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

i hope you made a backup of your eeprom.bin, because after you unlocked it with slayer your drive was unlocked upon next boot. hence the error 5 (meaning hdd is NOT locked!). now you have to lock it back up. put a copy of your eeprom.bin, that you hopefully for you backed up, on a floppy drive and boot your xboxhhdm disc (unless the eeprom.bin is there in the right folder) and relock your harddrive again!

if you don't have your eeprom.bin backed up but have a bootable hdd:
    if you have your stock 8 gig harddrive, just put that into your xbox. run the softmod again (or if your stock hd is softmodded, use any tool to backup your eeprom.bin. configmagic or run the sid installer again). then you have a backup of your eeprom, use that to lock your 40 gig drive