1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touchpad settings not saving

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by swappo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. swappo

swappo Member

Hello,
    I have a compaq presario v2000 laptop with a synaptics touchpad v5.10 pointing device. I use windows XP pro. I just recently had an new hard drive installed and since I got my computer back from best buy, I have been having problems with the touchpad. It seems my settings are not being saved when I shutdown the computer. Upon booting up the computer I have to go into control panel, click on the mouse setting and manually put in the settings. I do this by clicking on Device Settings then I have to click reset devices.

Also, after I have reset the touchpad settings there is a synaptics icon on the task bar in the right hand corner. When I reboot the computer the Icon is gone. If I go into task bar and start menu properties, and click hide inactive icons then click customize, synaptics pointing device is under current items and set to always show. When I reboot the computer, the icon is no longer under the current items list.

How do I get my computer to save my changes after shuting down the computer. In the past settings were always saved and the synaptics icon was always on the task bar.

Thank you

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

if youve had a new harddrive installed then youll probably need to reinstall the touchpad drivers, they should be on one of the cds you got with your laptop

3. swappo

swappo Member

Thanks for the reply. The driver for the touchpad is installed. I used the driver installation wizard to check the disk for drivers and it said it is using the current driver.

4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

its probably using the microsoft driver as thats what it would say if it was. if there are any setup.exes on the driver disc you have for the laptop run them

5. swappo

swappo Member

I have two disks, application and driver recovery DVD and the XP disk. I am not sure which to use for the setup.exe files or what to do with the files. If I put the driver recovery disk in it wants to install everything (it doesn't have an itemized list of files). Should I just reinstall everything from the driver recovery disk? What effect will this have on the rest of the programs on my computer if I reinstall everything? When I bought the computer, best buy did tweak XP so it would run quicker. I believe they did the XP tweak again after the install of the new hard drive. Maybe it was a tweak that created this problem, although I didn't have this problem before.

6. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

yes just let the recovery disk do its magic and all being well your touchpad should get back to the norm

7. swappo

swappo Member

I used the driver recovery disk. There were drop down menus with a list of drivers. I didn't see it the first time, but this time I was able to select only the synaptic driver. When I rebooted the synaptics icon was in the task bar and and the touchpad settings were as they should be. However, the scrolling feature was not working in Opera (I use opera 8.5 as my browser) but worked in Explorer. This confuses me since I did not change any settings in Opera. Thanks for the help.

8. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

youl probably have to redo your settings because youve updated the driver but once youve done that it should continue working however you want it to.

just for good measure id make a new system restore point when everything is working properly so if anything mucks up in the future you can just roll back to it.

glad i could help anywho