1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading for a Modded xbox, want to know if its a good deal

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jcalton88, May 16, 2009.

1. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

I am well versed in the 360 modding, but have never messed with an original xbox. I'm trading someone a 360 HDD and a game for an original xbox, modded with the xecuter x3 ce modchip, 2 controllers, 2 games, and two backed up games.

I know this sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure if the xbox has an upgraded HDD. I have an old IDE HDD laying around, and was wondering if I could use this, or if I would need to get a new one. Also, the xbox doesn't have any roms or emulators on it that I know of.

So basically, just wondering if I'm getting a good deal(sounds like it) and some tips for upgrading, getting roms and emulators and such.

I have been looking into getting one because I really like playing those old school games, and a friend use to have a xbox with literally every game ever released, lol. I want that. I would also like to stream movies, and be able to back up games to it. How hard is all of this?

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

go to the download section, there is a post with all kinds of download links.

for all apps and so on, go to bittorent and download aid 4.20 (latest release i believe...?). it has all kind of apps, roms and so on. it is dvd of about 4 gig. but the slayer disc will also do fine, has the apps on it. you can always download xbmc from the creators website, just look for 3tech xbmc. releases.

3. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Thanks a lot, I downloaded the Auto-Installer Deluxe Final Version, didn't have any roms though I don't believe. I'll look for the AID, thanks a lot.

4. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Sorry, didn't realize AID meant Auto Installer Deluxe, overlooked it I guess. The "final" version is 4.5 but it is only 1.6 GB I believe. And I see no evidence of roms, it has all the emulators though. Guess I'll have to download the roms myself...

5. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

the one i have is 4 gig (After extraction!!!!)

and yes, you are right. it does not have roms on it. but on bittorent you can download complete packages with roms, several gigs of all kind of roms you would like to have (snes, n64 etc. etc.). i've downloaded some, just look for the ones which have several gigs and the most seeders (off course). do scan the files, it will most probably have some viruses in it

6. varnull

varnull Guest

I haven't ever seen a virus in a collection of roms. What you will find though is long filenames with illegal characters.. all the (!)[j]{p} stuff does have a meaning tho.. it's just the xbox filesystem won't accept files with crap like that in the filenames.

7. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

that too.

but what i should have said /meant to say, in those large zipfiles there will be some files that will register as a virus which indeed are viruses. off course you are right, not the roms themselves are viruses and/or trojan horse (that i found out the hard way a long time ago.... since then i always scan before opening files). but the stuff that the initial uploader, or some else, include besides the rom.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Don't know where you get your roms from.. *giggles* I never download any rom collections .. usually if I need a game the rom is available on it's own from reputable places if you can be bothered having a quick search.. Those things which come with supposed emulators or any exe files.. leave them alone.. they are kid traps and when the windoze based emulator runs it's a keylogger trojan.. the roms are safe.. keep them, delete the crap. Simple to only get good rom collections from good sites..
    should be using a malware-proof system on the net for downloading anyways.. not windoze XD

I guess the best advice I can give somebody starting out is just get a few roms.. and work out how to add them into the emulators.. for ps1 it's better to rip the games from your own disks.. and some games won't work on the xbox version of the emu.. no way to add the required plugins. Also lots of uploaded ps1 rips are junk.

It's the same as pirating anything.. there are good places and people and bad.. it's knowing the difference..

9. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Well the rom packs I got are from a good source, I use them frequently for other things. And since I had the autoinstaller i didn't need anything else, so I just kept the roms and got rid of everything else. Thorough(as can be on windows) mal-ware scans on everything.

I'm not completely new to the roms and emulators, just new to them on the xbox. But I agree, its knowing the right places to go and the bad ones that makes the difference.

10. isaacbomb

isaacbomb Guest

Can i ask a few questions and say a few things

1. wich dashboard does the xbox have?

2. you can ftp the roms to the xbox into the folder where the emulatars are stored into the the folder uually labeled roms or you can even just burn the roms to a cd and the copy them from the cd to the xbox if your using any dash board other than the microsoft one

3. also a used xbox usually is 50$ and the cost of modding yourself via softmod is varried from the amount of the game that you use to softmod and the cost of an xbox action replay for a xbox to usb and a usb flash drive
    total cost for me was 10-15$ i believe as i got a usb flash drive free
    i dont know how much the xbox hdd is worth or the game your trading but ask yourself is (X cost of 360 HDD)+(X Cost of 360 Game)= 50($xbox)+ (Mod Chip Used)

when the cost of doing it yourself is only 50$+(X Cost of mod materials)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  11. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Well I went ahead with the trade, I didn't need the HDD and I had gotten it for free.

BUT, I got screwed. Don't know if he sent it and it got lost(doubt it) or he didn't send it at all(more likely) but I never received it.

The games I didn't care about, they were cheap gamestop used games that I didn't like and like I said, the HDD was free, so I wasn't really out any, and thats the risk you take trading like that so oh well.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

What a rotter.. you sent your stuff.. you have his address.. send a letter asking to see see proof that it was shipped so you can claim against the delivery company for your loss.. which I would guess is actually about $100 .. that usually works if you are nice about it.. don't go accusing him of ripping you off straight off the bat. If that fails then it's legal letter time.. you had a contract.. and they are legally binding.. :)

13. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

No he was smart about it. I sent it to "his address" which I later found out was his girlfriends apartment. If his girlfriend even lives there. I know a lot of apartments accept packages at the office and all you have to do is show ID to pick them up. Likely thats what he did.

I'm pretty sure I got screwed all the way around but I know he received the package. And as far as legal matters, it wouldn't really be worth it. I'd pay more for a consultation than the stuff was worth.