1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transcode to Hard Drive or to DVD Writer?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by DocMax, Jul 3, 2007.

1. DocMax

DocMax Member

With clips on the hard drive...and using NeroVision Express 3..Does it make any difference whether to transcode to a file on the hard drive or the DVD burner (if I am asking that correctly) as far as time to complete the task? It takes me 8-10 hours for a nearly full 4.7 GB disc. I also do not get anywhere near the 20X that the HP dvd1040e is rated at.

A couple of times while transcoding to the DVD writer, the software or my computer hung up during the burn process and a couple of times during the transcoding process. No error messages, just stalled out. Have a pentium 4 and a 1300MhZ chip and 412 megabytes of RAM, if that helps.

If the clips are transcoded to the hard drive would it make the burn process quicker the first time or faster if re-burning after an error?
    Thanks

2. killalot

killalot Active member

Never heard that one before Transcoding straight to the disk on the fly as your doing it
    I haven’t got the balls to even try it id say to do that on the fly need some hell of a spec computer copy to the hard drive first what are you transcoding got a log to look at be interested to have a look at that log

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

first off ...... burning on the fly isn't recommended...... your RAM is low..... I would update more RAM for your computer and maybe you'll get better transcoding times. If your files are on the hard drive then it has to transcode to a temp file then burn to your drive. your 20x burner is rated at that speed but it doesn't mean you can burn a disk at 20x since they only have 16x disks! You need a 20x disk to burn at that speed...... when and if they do make a 20x disk then you might be able to burn higher than 16x.

4. DocMax

DocMax Member

Thanks for the replies. I am new at this, so what I am asking may be incorrect.

When I have added my clips, and am at "set the parameters for burning", do I want to:
    1-burn to my DVD writer?
    or
    2-write to a hard disc folder?

If I write to a hard disc folder, then will the clips I have chosen in the past be "transcoded" and ready for future use, without needing to chose those clips again, transcode them again in the future?

Thanks

5. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

You choose 'burn to your dvd writer' if you want to burn the dvd right away.

If you choose, write to a hard folder..... you do not need to transcode the saved file again. Simply open DVD Burning Rom, choose DVD video and load the vob files, from the trancoded folder, into VIDEO_TS and burn.

But the trascoded files are normally very large, so there's really no point writting to a folder.

6. DocMax

DocMax Member

Thanks for the replies and help. Much appreciated.

7. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

you're welcome :)