1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transcoding xvids for phillips dvp624 (small size)

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by pelvin, May 30, 2006.

1. pelvin

pelvin Member

Greetings:

Recently I have been taking shows from my replaytv with me while travling. I am able to get them into a small sized xvid with about 350MB ~= 1hr of show. This was great and I was able to watch the shows on my laptop but when I returned home I had not watched all of the shows. I had removed them from my replay but I figured I could just play them on my phillips dvp642. Since I can play most xvids I download of the same size on the 642, but not the ones I have made.

Here is the transcode line:

transcode -i input.mpg -o output.avi -y xvid4 -R3 -w4 -J ivtc -J decimate --export_fps=23.976

At this point I was just using the debain defaults for xvid since I know very little about encoding. I found this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/165637

And ran xvid4conf to duplicate all of the settings I could.

I know there are some xvids the 642 can't play (Qpel etc...). And I have tried removing the fps changes which gives me a larger file but it still won't play. Really I know so little I don't know if this is a transcode issue or an xvid issue. I can post my xvid4.cfg if need be.

Thanks.

clay

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

You might find this helpful
    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=273901

Should work becuse the guide starts of by saying

3. pelvin

pelvin Member

Thanks for the link but that one like the one I posted is for a Windows app. I have tried to translate that to my xvid4.cfg and transcode options but I have not found the magic combo yet. Well I can make xvids that will play but they are huge in comparison to others I have gotten.

I have resorted to transcoding a small sample with different options until I find a solution.

clay

4. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

oh sorry just realized this was a linux thread, never ran linux so cant help you much there.
    Hope you figure out a better way or somebody else can help you.