1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer camcorder film to my computer and Convert

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by braysh, Mar 10, 2007.

1. braysh

braysh Member

I would be most grateful if anyone came tell me how to transfer the camcorder film from my camcorder onto my computer and what software I will need to do this.
    Thanks to all out there as i know that someone has the answer
    Thanks
    Braysh

2. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Hi braysh

Well, if you have a digital camcorder, you might likely be able to do a direct digital transfer, but if you have an analog camcorder, you'll likely have to purchase a video capture card for your computer.

More info on what you have to work with, please?

3. braysh

braysh Member

hi corypolo
    Thanks for your reply.Im not sure on what you need to know so I've got what I think.
    It's a Sony handycam ,steady shot ,USB Sreaming, DCR TRV 285E Pal.
    What I would like to is turn the taped items into avi files.
    I hope this gives you the info you require.
    Braysh

4. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Hi braysh,

I'm thinking that your Sony handycam should have came with some software to not only install device drivers on your computer so you can hook it up for transfer but application(s) to allow you to edit captured/transferred footage..perhaps even export to burn on a dvd/vcd.

Okay... I went to the Sony site itself and did a search of dcr trv 285e and that is a European model (although the "PAL" part gave me a clue to that, as most American video products correspond to the NTSC video standard).

Here is the page I'm stuck at as I don't know which European country you are in: http://www.sony-europe.com/staticco...ny.com/US/perl/model-find.pl?mdl=dcr+trv+285e

5. braysh

braysh Member

hi corypolo
    Its the UK.Ive been to the site and like before I am not sure what To look for.For your info we got the camcorder secondhand and without that software.Any further help much needed.
    Thanks
    Braysh

6. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Right (hello again)

Well, like I was saying before, even if (as in this case) you purchased the camera second hand and it didn't come with any software, to start with, you'll at least need some device drivers so you can actually do something with it on your computer. Device drivers are the 'language' which allows a peripheral device to communicate with the computer's OS.

Scoping around Google, I dug up this link for a driver: http://www.eartcenter.ru/download/drivers/usbdrven.exe based on what I read on this page: http://www.sreejith.net/sreejith/bought-handycam-sony-dcr-trv285e.html

If that driver is successful for getting the camera to be recognized, then a couple of applications you could use to get video from it include VirtualDub Mod and AMCap, which is on this page.

7. braysh

braysh Member

Hi there
    Thanks for your time doing my hard work.When I get time i will visit the sites and try and put things into practise.
    Once again thanks a lot
    Braysh