1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Digital Camcorder movies to a CD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by wavewuver, Mar 30, 2003.

1. wavewuver

wavewuver Member

I'm very much a novice on this topic. I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and want to store my tapes on a CD or perhaps a DVD.
    I have Pixela's Imagemaker software that can transfer the tapes to my PC in mpeg or avi format. Which format is better, avi or mpeg? Should I create a CD or a DVD? I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. endorphin

endorphin Member

Capture to an AVI file using either the HuffYUV codec or one of the available MJPEG codecs. These are available for download if you look around; HuffYUV is "lossless" and free; MJPEG is nearly lossless and inexpensive. Then use TMpegEnc to encode the AVI into MPEG-2 format. Then use a DVD burning program to create a DVD.

3. sbairtime

sbairtime Guest

Why not MPEG from camcorder to PC. This saves a lot of time using TMPeng

4. vtd

vtd Member

First of all, forget that poor-quality Pixela Image Mixer program. Capture your video via WireFire instead, you'll get your video in DV format. It takes up lot of space on you HDD, so be prepared! After that you can use commercial SWs like Adobe Premiere or ULead Video Studio (they both can be downloaded for trial) to export DV to either VCD, SVCD, or Divx. But you can also use a freeware VirtualDub to convert your DV to Divx and split big AVI files to multiple CDs. Good luck!

5. wavewuver

wavewuver Member

Instead of Firewire, can I used USB 2.0 ? Thanx for your help. HDD space isn't a problem but thanx for the warning.

6. vtd

vtd Member

Yes, you can use USB2.0 as well. One thing you may need is Sony USB driver. The reason I recomended WireFire is that you can get a card for almost nothing (mine costed $20, although the cable costed nearly the same amount), and if you use XP, you have nothing else to do except to plug the card in, and start uploading from your camcoder.

7. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

I suggest using adobe premiere 6.5 to capture at dvd resolution then you can edit it to do anything you could possibly want to do then use ulead moviefactory 2 or vegas to make yourself a menu and burn the guy...2 simple steps, no problem.