1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Hi8 to DVD **without** camcorder???

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by gq187, Apr 11, 2007.

1. gq187

gq187 Member

I have video footage of my honeymoon trip from 5 years ago that I have never seen to this day. A family member had let me borrow their Sony camcorder, which used Hi8 tapes, but I have no way to play the tape back without the camcorder itself.

With all the changes in technology, I was wondering if there was a way to be able to transfer the video from the Hi8 tape to either DVD or computer...but without having to use a camcorder.

I don't have the original camcorder, and don't want to spend money on buying a camcorder just to make this one transfer.

I have a DVD burner, and several different encoding/decoding/compression/ripping type programs on my PC, so if I could get it to my PC, that would probably be fine as well.

Is it possible, or am I S.O.L.???!!!

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You need some sort of Hi8 player. If not a camcorder, then a Hi8 deck or VCR. Technology has advanced, sure, but not so much that you can read a videotape without a player!

There are plenty of companies that can do Hi8 transfers for a fee.

You do not say what country you live in.

If you live in the USA, I have seen a company which will do a basic transfer to DVD for $18.95 for 1 to 30 minutes, $22.95 for 31 to 60 minutes, etc, up to $34.95 for 121 to 180 minutes. You can pay more to get fancy labels and case inserts etc. Add in postage and insurance. You might be happier finding a local service then you won't have the worry of loss or damage in transit. Once you have the DVD you could edit to your hearts content.

Here is a good page to start you off. You could modify the search to include your location or state or city...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=t&oq=Hi8+tra&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=hi8+transfer+to+dvd&meta=

3. gq187

gq187 Member

I realize I need a player of some sort. I guess I really didn't make that too clear in my original post. Sorry bout that.

You mention a VCR. How would a VCR help me any? How would I get the Hi8 to play on a VCR? I obviously wouldn't need to transfer to DVD if I could use a VCR to play my Hi8.

And yes, I do live in the US.

Thanks in advance.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I wrote, "You need some sort of Hi8 player. If not a camcorder, then a Hi8 deck or VCR."

Maybe it would have been clearer if I had written, "You need some sort of Hi8 player. If not a camcorder, then a Hi8 deck or a Hi8 VCR."

VCR means "Video Cassette Recorder". There are (or were) Betamax ones. There are VHS ones. There are Hi8 ones. How did you think people played back Hi8 home movies? (Apart from plugging the camcorder into the TV) As well as Hi8 playback machines, there were (and are) Hi8 VCRs which connect to an antenna and the TV and allow you to record TV programs on those little Hi8 tapes instead of the great big VHS tapes. If you had, or could borrow one of those, you could maybe plug it into your computer is what I meant.

5. gq187

gq187 Member

Ah. OK. I see.

Unfortunatley, I don't have a Hi8 vcr, just a normal VHS vcr. And the little research I've done shows that a Hi8 vcr will probably cost me no less than $200. Not worth the 1 time transfer I am looking to do.

The DVD transfer service seems to be the best route to take at this point. I'll look into places around town that might do that for me.

Thanks

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I must say, Hi8 VCRs are like hen's teeth. I only ever saw one. It belonged to a guy who didn't want his kids to get their minds polluted by watching rented movies, so he got the Hi8 VCR so they could only watch tapes that he made for them to watch, educational nature programs and religious stuff. They used to come around to my house to see my kids and watch anything they wanted to! The oldest girl said to my daughter, "Dad's TV shows suck, but we don't let him know we think that, it's easier that way".