1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfering files from laptop to pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by carmen, Jun 13, 2007.

1. carmen

carmen Member

i was wondering what i can do to transfer files from my laptop to home pc, my pc is old and doesnt have the internet or any wireless connections.is there a way to do it with cables?
    thanks

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

cross over cable
    [​IMG]

3. jojonavy

jojonavy Member

4. carmen

carmen Member

i have looked into setting up an ethernet crossover cable, as i have the cable and proper ports on both computers to make this work. but after i plug the cable in, do i need more software or any particular hardware so the two can speak?
    thanks

5. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i dont think so ive never had to use a crossover cable but im pretty sure its ment to take the router out of the picture so it would be like a two computer internet if that makes sense. instead of connecting the internet to the router then out to the computers your just connecting the two comps together instead of to the internet. im just guessing how i think it works maybe someone else will post that knows more then i do about networking.

6. jojonavy

jojonavy Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats how it works. You just have to tweak the settings so each computer can share files. I actually tried the crossover cable thing but couldn't figure it out.. My brother who's an IT, said to transfer it another way so I use that USB 2.0 linking cable I mentioned earlier in the post....

7. carmen

carmen Member

th whole reason for this is i have wireless on my laptop and i want to store all my moves on my pc by connecting them together, and then connecting my television to my pc to watch it off there. im not sure if this makes a ddifference but they have diferent versions of windows?

i have got cat5 and cat5e cables but at this time havent got any usb connector cable, is there any way that i may be able to link the two computers using either of these cables?thanks

8. jojonavy

jojonavy Member

Alright I figured it out. You have to create a network either using a shared internet connection or using the crossover cat5 cable to the computers in serial.

I just setup my first wireless network.... Though I noticed the transfer speed is not great. Maybe using a physcial cat5 cable will work better...

Alright, so if using the cat 5 cable, you should turn on both computers and hook them up together. With the computer runningXP, go to network connections, on the left tab there is option to setup a home network. Choose this option and go thru the process. Make sure to check file and printer sharing, note the network name, and choose the ethernet connection instead of wireless. Since your using two different types of windows, it says you need to either use the XP CD or put on a flash drive the network settings to transfer to the other computer.

Once networks are setup, you go to each computers files that you want to share/transfer, select properties and enable Sharing on Network... To access the network, you would go to network connections, on left there should be an icon labeled work group, and you now have access to the other computers SHARED files.