1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring system HDD to another HDD

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by whiskey99, Oct 13, 2014.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,This is something i want to do but not quite sure in how to it.

I have (2) HDD'S in my PC 1 has WINXP on it the other has WIN 7 on it.

The WIN7 OS is on a SSHD with a 1TB HDD it has 931GB of free space,the WINXP HDD is full with at about 150GB no free space and from what i have been able ascertain is i can partition the 1TB HDD and transfer the data on the WIXP HDD to the new HDD.

Will the WINXP OS go with the transfer to the new HDD or since they are both on the MOBO that i will not have to transfer the WINXP OS if it is even possible.

I hope this is not too confusing as how i explained it,thank you.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what data are you talking about, documents, pictures or programs like games?

3. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

everything that is after WINXP OS which is about 140GB'S of data there are no games installed.
    The reason for trying to transfer all i can is HDD is about 8yrs. old and i would like to save what i can before it dies on me.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just copy & paste you want saved from xp drive to win7 drive but not any installed programs as they are usually spread thru out windows.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

This is really easy.. sounds hard but isn't.. make a pair of directories.. xp and w7 .. move EVERYTHING from both OS into them and then edit the boot.ini file to give you the option of each.. (there are heaps of guides on how to do this). It's much easier to do this with a sensible os like Sabayon run from a dvd ;)