1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transistors vs tube amps

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Mez, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mez

Mez Active member

2. aldan

aldan Active member

ive always liked the "tube sound".i dont quite know how to describe the difference but transistor amps always sounded hard,no depth.nothing like the distortion of an overdriven tube type amp.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

As the author states, the difference is distortion. He also states distortion can be value added. Turntable vs CD is also distortion. If you use single crystal patch cords they reduce that distortion enough that the LPs sound more like a CD than an LP.

On a personal note, I do not clean up vinyl captures. I prefer them el natural. In other words I like both chocolate and vanilla and would not opt to eliminate either one from my listening experiance.

The articles go into great technical detail in explaining many differences he was aware of. Digital is more precise, faster acting and clean. Some of the smaller components in older tube amps distort. Just because it is cleaner doesn't mean better. Acoustic instruments are not clean at all but I prefer them in certain settings. It is their 'dirtiness' that makes their music more complex and more charming. As I age, I appreciate acoustic more each year.

Tube amps are very hard to come by these days. Most persons have never even heard one operate.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

had an old (newer then) fender super reverb back in the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.