1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried installing DVD Drive myself- PROBLEMS....

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by colin72, Mar 4, 2005.

1. colin72

colin72 Member

I have a HP Pavilion Desktop (9680C), Win 98 SE, 650 Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM.

It came with a CD-rom and a DVD-rom. I just bought a NEC DVD+/-RW ND-3520A. I'm very much a NOVICE but thought I could install the NEC Drive. Following instructions from the HP site, I took the DVD-rom out and replaced it with the new NEC Drive.

The original CD-rom was and still is the master and the NEC is the slave.

M: is the CD-rom
    D: is the new NEC
    E: is still present and I assume that was my old DVD-rom

In my Device Mgr:
    NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A
    AXV CD/DVD-ROM
    TEAC CD-W54E

If I double click the NEC drive in the Device Mgr, the device status says it's working properly, but it also says:
    Device Type: CDROM
    Manufacturer: (standard CD-ROM device)
    Hardware version: not available

Obviously I screwed this up. Could someone help me out, and remember, I'm a novice.

Thanks

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

colin72

I would have suggested that you first make your new DVD Burner the Master and put back your DVD-Rom drive making it the slave since your DVD Burner will also be what you will use for your CD burning as well. This way when you backup a DVD movie, you can use your DVD-Rom for ripping and your Burner for Burning the blank media. Hopefully your new burner came with a different ribbon cable such as one with a blue end which goes to the MB, a black plug which goes to the master, and a grey plug that goes to your slave.

Edit: "Does not require drivers for Windows 98"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  3. colin72

colin72 Member

My New NEC Drive did not come with any cables, software, etc (nothing but the drive- I got it online from Newegg).

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I did a search and all I found was drivers for Dos, etc. so it should be fine without anything special. Try the setup I spoke of above and see what happens. I also would look into getting an 80 wire ribbon since this drive could be set to a DMA 4 level which would require the ribbon I mentioned. Normal cables only are good for a max of DMA2.

5. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Member

Hello fellas,...
    First post, and first reply on the site. Been doing a lot of reading lately on the subject of DVD burning, and have been seeing alot of info from you Mr. Scuba,...I really enjoy, and appreciate you help,...Thanks,...
    About the problem at hand here,..I too have had a starnge event with the same NEC burner. Mine is a bit different however, int he fact, I set mine as the slave, but it has caused my system, P4, XP Pro, to take a veeery long time to load after resart. The drive seems to operate fine after the system is up, but I can't stand to wait so long for the system to come up, and it seems there is obviously something amiss anyway,....I am going to change the jumpers on mine as well, and see how it goes.
    I just thought you might find it interesting, that another user is experiencing trouble as well,....Not to mention, the drive was purchased from the same supplier. Maybe they got a bad batch,...??
    Glad to be here, and thanks again,....

GRCRY,...>>>--->

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

At colin72 & GRCRYSTYK

I don't want to mislead you on that issue of master and slave. It really doesn't matter much anymore which is master or slave, just as long as they are jumpered correctly and on a good IDE cable. I was making this reference since colin72 was setting his up and still using his CD-Rom instead of keeping his DVD-Rom drive. There can also be other issues such as your secondary channel not being on DMA mode, but instead, on PIO. You can check for this in your device manager and see if the secondary controller under ATA/IDE shows DMA or not.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

GRC and colin72: I have my lite-on 167t set as secondary master/benq 1620 set as secondary slave. My H drive set as primary master and I drive set as primary slave.It's working great for me.

GRCry:If your pc is running slow when you boot up try shutting down some of those programs during startup: click run/type in msconfig/ok/ click startup tab/ then you can untick those programs that you do not need to start up with like msn messenger,quicktime,etc.
    Then click apply,and then reboot. That should speed you back up.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

colin72

One other thing. After you get your drives back in and setup, go into device manager and remove them/unistall them from there, and then reboot. See if that corrects your problem of showing the wrong drives.

saugmon

How did you like those Sony 8X DVD-R's you purchased? The label on mine show "Made In Taiwan, not Made In Japan.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo scubabud, I've only burned a couple just to check the compatability on my stand alones. They seem very good.I still have 1 issue of my brother's older sherwood that will not play the dash format from both my 16x burners.This includes ritek go4,mxl-rgo2,and mxl-rg03.

I am on another sony thread,looks like those +1-8x's that say made in japan on sale this week are not coded yuden-000-to2.I haven't opened my 1 spindle up yet.I still have 6 spindles from their last month's sale. They seem to code as SONYD11 this time,the same code I ran into in december on the 25 pack spindles at staples-that were made in taiwan.

Did you get that same sony08D1's on the taiwanese dash 1x-8x sony's?

I did run into the same problem on the -1x-4x's.It had the mfg code: sony04D1 on both the taiwanese and austrian spindles. Looks like sony uses those same exact codes on different countries.

Those taiwanese +1x-8x still rocked,can't complain there.I thought I had them figured out,but I still feel more at ease with them stating "Made In Japan".

Staple's have the +/- 1x-8x 25 pack spindles on sale sunday for $9.94. I went in there earlier to check up on them and they were all taiwanese.I forgot to look at the dash sony's.

I wander how colin72 is getting along?

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]Did you get that same sony08D1's on the taiwanese dash 1x-8x sony's?[/bold]

Yes, I found the wrap from my Sony's and I thought that they were Japan, but the fine print did say Taiwan. They have been great with me and burned well even at 16x. Like you, I would of felt much better if they did say Japan.

colin72 how are you making out? And you too GRCRYSTYK?

11. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Member

Hey guys,...
    I seem to be straightened out. Swapped the drives, and swapped jumpers on both of them,..Has booted up as it did before three times now,....Time will tell however.
    I had read that there are a few drives out there, that just don't play nice with other drives on the same ribbon. Thought I may have run into that. My system must have just had a small glitch,....
    As for shutting off most start up items, I run as few as I can in the background, so I knew it wasn't that. I think it will run ok now,...Never had that happen before though,....
    Now if I can just figure out which software I like...;) Wow! There is sooo much to become familiar with,..I'm going cross eyed trying to read everything. Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks again guys,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Grcry, now you see the media problems we run into on dvd burning.Sony is not a bad brand name,it just seems the 1x-8x speeds seem a lot better than their 4x. You should check out some codes for memorex,pretty scary.
    This is not like your old cd-burning. Lots of things can go wrong because of where we play those backups. Quality media is a must. That cheap/generic/store brand names like staples-bestbuy-office depot brands/and memorex are best just won't cut it.It can screw us up in a zillion different ways.You stick with the good stuff made in japan,and a lot of issues will be prevented.

What software to like? Not sure of what kind of files you are trying to put on dvd, but dvd shrink , nero , and dvd decrypter are some great programs to have on your pc.Nero and shrink do 95% of my dvd movie backups.
    You stick with the good media, backup target set at 4360 mbs,and a nice sensible 4x burn speed and you should be ok. Just a few pointers for you. Just search around here,there's a whole lot of info,tools,free software,and programs at your service.Ps, And a slew of great members from all over the world.
    Good Luck and burn on!!!!!!

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

GRCRYSTYK

Glad you have your system starting better. That is interesting that just that change helped, but it might have been a "Freshen Up/Spring Cleaning" so to speak for your Device Manager, putting things back in place for a while. If that does happen again, I would look at your DMA setting on your Opticals to see whether they went from a DMA mode to a PIO mode. Windows will slow down, or change your DMA settings whenever there is a problem while reading disks, or running into CRC errors. After about 5 or 6 times, it puts your drive or drives back to the PIO mode, which is very, very slow. :)

I started to just use AnyDVD in the background and Recode2 for my movie backups lately. It's very fast and easy that way also. My family used to say, “I want everything on there including the extras,” but now has given me permission to just copy Movie Only with Menu's. When you pop in the disk you get right to the movie and besides, I can’t even recall when the last time was that any of us looked at any special features. Several of the movies lately needed little to no compression this way, going from a DVD9 to a DVD5. No & Low is good when it comes to backing up movies! Good luck with anyway you choose since there are many ways to accomplish backing up your DVD’s. :)

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo scubabud, don't you ever sleep?lol

Or are you a midnight shift worker with another screwed up weekend like me?

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey saugmon,

Nope... Just that my wife snores... <G>

(wife peering over my shoulder)

Woops.... Just kidding Hunnee, Just kidding! :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  16. colin72

colin72 Member

ScubaBud:

"I would have suggested that you first make your new
    DVD Burner the Master and put back your DVD-Rom drive making it the slave since your DVD Burner will also be what you will use for your CD burning as well. This way when you backup a DVD movie, you can use your DVD-Rom for ripping and your Burner for Burning the blank media. Hopefully your new burner came with a different ribbon cable such as one with a blue end which goes to the MB, a black plug which goes to the master, and a grey plug that goes to your slave."

As I said, my burner did not come with anything. So where does that leave me?

-------------------------------------------

I tried to use the NEV DVD Drive to burn some files to and free up hard drive space. I also wanted to see if it would work. It doesn't.

I've tried twice now and each time, it starts burning and then my computer freezes. Once it got about 20% complete burning 4 GB of data.

So as I've said it seems that I do not have this set up correctly.

Any ideas?

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

colin72

Lets get a bit more information about your system.

What are your PC specs:
    CPU
    Memory
    Hard Drive size and most important, how much free space on it now. This might be your one of your problems.
    Your Power supply also is important. What is it's rating? 300 watts, 350watts, etc. (We just had another member that had the same problem and it was his PSU under rated.)http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/162336

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Colin, your pc specs are very low. The usual recommendation is 256 mbs ram,windows xp,10 extra gigs of empty hard drive space, and at least 1.0 ghz processor. I have my spare pc set up to burn and it has a p3-celeron 598 mhz,,256 mbs ram,xp-sp1, and I have an extra 30 gig hard drive,set up very similar to my main pc.It takes a little longer,especially on those larger dvd-9 movies,but is great to have a spare when I run into problems.

I just got through re-ripping a couple of my backups on the fly,using my dvd-rom set on master and benq on slave.100% success rate on over 120 + of my backups now. Cd's are no problem either.

Colin, what brand/speed/and format of media are you trying to burn?
    How fast are you trying to burn it? You may have to slow it down.

Scuba bud beat me to it,

19. colin72

colin72 Member

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

saugmon

After reading your last post I started to think you were psychic about colin72’s specs until I re-read the thread. I guess I better get some coffee and wake up before posting anymore. <G>

Thanks for being kind in letting me know, in a nice way that he already posted most of the info! :)

I have a feeling it’s his lack of HD space or PSU on this one also, even more now that I re-read his specs from before. His memory issue is going to slow him way down also!