1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried installing DVD Drive myself- PROBLEMS....

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by colin72, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Intel Pentium (R) III 650 MHz processor

You see, I'm not the only one that needs coffee this morning. :)

colin72
    Try and free up more HD space then what you have first and then try it again. As Saugmon suggested, at least 10 GB, but I would try for at least 15GB.

From what I just searched for it seems that your PSU is a 200watt which is very low for demands needed today.

It might be time to find a great deal on a PC before investing in more upgrades on this one.

Again, try freeing up some space and let us know how you make out.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

An extra hardrive and another 128 mb stick of ram should help jump start that pc,if you want to take that route.

Also up that power supply like scubabud posted.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I also took another scan through this thread, I thought he had 650 mhz processor,but 350 mhz-holy cow. I haven't run into anybodys processor that low since I joined up. I thought my 598 mhz was pushing the limit- but the extra ram,and placing those few dvd movie folders on that extra hard drive and off my system hd helped.

4. colin72

colin72 Member

saugmon: No, the processor is 650 mhz.

Everybody needs some coffee!

I'm in the process of freeing up hard drive space. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

I REALLY appreciate all the help with this.

5. colin72

colin72 Member

Well, I freed up 10 Gb of space and then tried to burn a data DVD using CopytoDVD to free up more.

When I did this, I received the message:

Please insert a writable media. Required free space estimation: 4.24 Gb

And my CD-ROM automatically opened! I have the blank DVD in my NEC drive.

My computer wants me to put the DVD in the CD-ROM?! Something is obviously screwed up.

Any ideas?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You'll be ok with 650 mhz,that's more than my backup pc.I only have the 9 gig and 30 gig hardrives and 1 optical drive- I/O 16x drive which is brand new,but I will replace with another benq 1620 I just ordered at newegg."compatability issues on my stand alones" that I won't tolerate.

I am not sure of it's powersupply, it's an old flat ibm tower with my old hp hardrive and old hp 128 mb stick of ram,but it runs a hell of a lot better than my main pc-just slower.

Another thing to take into consideration, while doing any of the dvd rip/encode/and burn, heat can be an issue,especially if using dvd shrink. I had to put a new heat-sink fan,80 mm case fan,and another pci slot blower to control that issue on my main pc.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ok, is there a setting to set your burn drive as your target? I am not familliar with copytodvd. I am a nero sort of guy. When I copy disc to disc, I scroll around and set nero to use my dvd-rom drive as the reader and my backup target drive"benq" as the writer. I haven't messed with backing up data files on dvd,I still use cd's.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What does your device manager say under Secondary Channel?

What does it say for your DVD Burner and CD-Rom under their own listing?

[bold]Location (0) and Location (1), etc.[/bold]

I thought we were going to remove the CD-Rom and put back the DVD-Rom, change the jumpers and reboot so that Windows would see the changes?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Also try this:

Remove the devices under Device manager again, uninstall them and then reboot, and see what the device manager says about what you have in your system.

Note:

Some ribbon cables have a pre-printed cable selection on them, such as one plug will show "master" and the other would show "slave". It might be on the ribbon itself. Check that also.

10. colin72

colin72 Member

saugmon: Yeah, you caught my mistake. I didn't have CopytoDVD set to the right Drive.

I chose the NEC Burner and set it at the slowest speed (2.4, I think). It seemed to be burning fine and then I got the dreaded bluescreen with the message:

An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C003150 in VXD. This was called from 0028:C003150BF in VXD.

===============================================

I've removed the Drives in Device Mgr and rebooted twice but nothing changes. Each have their own listing as follows.....

Device Manager:

NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A
    AXV CD/DVD-ROM
    TEAC CD-W54E

Properties:

NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A

Device Type: CD ROM
    Manufacturer: Standard CD ROM Device
    Device Status: Working Properly

Target ID: 1
    logical unit number: 0
    Dicsconnect- checked
    Auto Insert- checked
    DMA- checked
    ------------------------------

AXV CD/DVD-ROM (which is the drive I removed)

Target ID: 0
    Dicsconnect- checked
    Auto Insert- checked

---------------------------------

TEAC CD-W54E

Target ID: 0
    Dicsconnect- checked
    Auto Insert- checked
    DMA- checked

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A

Target ID: 1

That means that your NEC is set to Slave. Is it jumpered to Slave or Master?

Target ID 0 = Master
    Target ID 1 = Slave

12. colin72

colin72 Member

I put it in place of my old DVD-rom and basically just connected it how the DVD-rom was connected.

It is slave to the CD-rom. They share an IDE cable, CD-rom is master, new NEC is slave.

Does "jumpered" refer to the cable connection?

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Jumpered refers to the little jumper on the back of every optical unit. They have three settings, CS for cable select, SL for slave, and MA for master.

Look at the back of your Burner for either a little black or white jumper. As you look at the back of your unit, your left should be the CS position, middle should be the Slave position and your right should be the Master position. If you have your unit set to slave, then the jumper must also be set to slave.

14. colin72

colin72 Member

I have it set to Cable Select. The DVD-rom I removed was CS so I set the NEC for CS.

Should I change this to SL?

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

To help someone it's always good to be on a level playing field. That's why I suggested way back when to setup your burner and rom drives a certain way.

Can we try that first, one as a master and one as a slave?

Give that a try and let us know.

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Doh! You got any more coffee scubabud?

17. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Member

You guy are really going out of your way here for Colin. I'm impressed. I have been on a lot of forums of different topics over the years, and still very active on a quite a few,...( I have many adictions,..:)), and there are a lot of good folks on the forums for sure. You guys are really sticking your knecks out,..I'm surely glad to be here,....

Colin I know I'm butting in on your thread, buit if I may, Guys I mentioned software,...There is so much around, and they all have different qualities,...Is there a "Sticky" on this somewhere ont he site?, or where can I start another thread to be bombarded with suggestions and explinations. I have done many hours of research already, and am only a littl closer to decideing what is best for me.
    I have tried a couple so far, and have mixed feelings. I want as much control as possible, of course with as good a transfer as possible, but don't want to spend a small furtune on it, and have to spend all day creating a disk,...

Thanks much guys, and I will step out of Colins way here,....

GRCRY,...>>>--->

18. colin72

colin72 Member

ScubaBud:

"I would have suggested that you first make your new DVD Burner the Master and put back your DVD-Rom drive making it the slave since your DVD Burner will also be what you will use for your CD burning as well. This way when you backup a DVD movie, you can use your DVD-Rom for ripping and your Burner for Burning the blank media. Hopefully your new burner came with a different ribbon cable such as one with a blue end which goes to the MB, a black plug which goes to the master, and a grey plug that goes to your slave."
    ======================================

I will replace the CD-ROM will the NEC. So it will be the master- then I'll put my DVD-rom back in making it slave to the NEC. I assume that is the way to do it because as I said previously the NEC did not come with any cables.

I'll let you know how it works. Thanks!!!!!

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

GRCRYSTYK

Quick list:

Free...
    DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter
    Edit: added Nero to this free list.

My Choice:
    AnyDVD in the background for Decrypting and NeroRecode2 (made by the same person that designed DVD Shrink, but without the ability to decrypt.

Thanks for the Accolades but most here, from newbies to addicts, do the same for each other. :)

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

grcry, Add nero into scuba bud's program list.If you have all those programs,you should have no trouble cracking those encryptions.

Here's some great,easy to follow guides: http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html