1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trimming a VOB file

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Sebright, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Sebright

Sebright Guest

Please excuse me if this is a silly question. I have some VOB files from a damaged DVD. Basically I have half an episode, then a complete episode. What I want to do is to trim the relevant VOB so it starts at the beginning of the complete episode, then make an ISO of it. This would be simple to do if I could load the files into DVDShrink, but unfortunately DVD Shrink doesn't recognise the files.
    Is there any other (free) utility that will let me set a start frame for a single vob file?
    Thanks, Maz

2. attar

attar Senior member

Asuming that the VOB's are playable on your PC then you can try the program shown on the link.
    I think it has gone through a name change or two and it's not free, but it is functional for fourteen days.
    It prefers to work with mpeg files, so it might be easier to rename the .vob to .mpg.
    Bring both/all files in to the new track.Each file can be edited for start/stop frames and optionally chapters.
    A menu is optional then a simulation screen will give you a chance to verify your work.
    The dvd compliant files are saved to disk and optionally you may burn a dvd.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/tsunami_mpeg_dvd_author_pro_guide.cfm

3. Stregga

Stregga Member

I am just starting to work with VOB files, and I thought I read on another thread that you cant change a VOB file into and Mpeg by simply changing the extension. There are some commands or somehting in the VOB that makes them somewhat different. So I'm wondering if the above suggestion will work.

In any event, I am curious on how to edit VOB files. I work with DVD Lab Pro 2 for DVD authoring and Cyberlink Powerdirector for video editing. I know that DVD Lab works with VOB's and I am currently waiting for the result of a test that my buddy is doing with powerdirector to see if it works with them. Anyway, does anyone know if I can use either of these programs to trim, edit, or work with the VOB files?

4. attar

attar Senior member

Your point is well taken however VOB's are MPEG files;of course you would not normally be changing the extension.
    This was a case where the dvd is damaged and Sebright wished to work with the available VOB's.
    The app that I mentioned I use all the time and will accept a .vob that has been renamed .mpg without protest.
    It can import the entire dvd or an mpeg file:you can make it import an individual VOB (but you have to select "all files" as it does not show that option) and will protest but it will still still import it ok.
    I use the feature so I can extract clips that I wish to join with others.
    The method I use is not necessarily the best; there are free apps out there which can do the same job:there are many ways to skin a cat.

5. Sebright

Sebright Guest

Thanks for the advice on this. I did not realise VOBs were mp3 files--in fact when my laptop starting saving them as PowerDVD mp3 files, I thought something had gone seriously wrong.
    Regards, Maz

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

VOBs are not mp3 files. They are MPEG-2 files with some additional information. The .mpg extension is used for both MPEG-1 and 2 files.

7. Sebright

Sebright Guest

Apologies--it was a case of brain/fingers disconnect. I was thinking mpeg, but for some reason I typed mp3--probably because I've just been downloading audio-streams and saving them in that format.