1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trimming & combining vob files

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Stregga, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Stregga

Stregga Member

I am working with DVD Lab Pro2 and I am trying to find a way to have footage taken from 2 seperate cameras of the same event, and I would like to edit the video so that I am able to make one movie of the event by trimming and combining the two videos at specific time codes.

The video footage has been put on two seperate DVD's so I ripped the vob files from both DVD's to my harddrive, and joined the individual files of the respective DVD's so that I have 2 joind VOB's.

I am a newbie so I am learning what limitations there are with the software I have.

If I am not able to acheive my goal with this software, does anyone know what software I could use to accomplish this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

DVDLab is a DVD authoring software, what you are describing is video editing. There are many video editing programs, But the one that seems to fit your needs the best will probably be VirtualDubMod (VDubMod or VDM)
    VDM is freeware download here:

www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdubmod.cfm

This is a great application especially when dealing with avi's and it is also the only one I know of that allows direct importing of VOB's, most other editing software will require you to convert to another format (in which VDM could be used as a tool to do so anyhow). There may possibly be a better way to make simple cuts (trim) VOB's but I would try asking in the editing forum.

If u need help with VDM just ask.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. Stregga

Stregga Member

AdRock925, thanks for reply to my thread. I take your suggestions and post othere questions related to video editing in the other forum. Just a quick question. Do you know anything about the StaxRip program?
    I was reading a description of what the program does, and it claims that it is able to DVD formats to Mpeg-2, among other formats. Do you know if this program would assist me with my situation?

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

There is one product you may check into. It will import VOB's and you can do all kind of things with them there. It is MPEG Vidoe Wizard DVD
    http://www.womble.com/
    By the way DVD Lab lets you cut the ends of you files, but that's about it. It is not editing software.

5. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Looking into Staxrip it appears to be yet another one of many video encoders (take a look around this site a bit), I don't have any experience with it and I've never heard of it and being that I often encode video and frequent sites like this one that means either:

A. It's brand new
    B. It's not very good so not very many people use it

- Im assuming u meant to say convert or extract.

A DVD video is an mpeg-2, VOB's are nothing more than container files that hold MP2 streams, as well as audio and subtitle streams - When you author a DVD the software Multiplex's or "Muxes" them together to create VOB files along with IFOs and BUPs. Demuxign the VOBs would give you an mp2 file - This is usefull as long as you find an editing software that support mp2 files. Here are some links of people asking similar questions:

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=224833
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/226677
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/181508

6. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Just a couple quick questions.
    Are you wanting to make a "multi-angle" DVD? You said....same event from
    2 different cameras...so were you looking for a split screen or picture in picture effect? Adobe Premiere Pro & aftereffects would be good for that.

7. Stregga

Stregga Member

First I would like to thank Ad Rock 925 for your suggestions, and I will look at those other streams...and yes, I did mean "convert dvd to mpg2.

In reply to Headborg reply, I am not looking to do a PIP or a split screen, though it's nice to know that the capability is out there to do that.

All I want to do is take the same play from both cameras and edit it in a way that it is all in one movie. So when the view is watching the movie they get to see that play from 2 different angles simply in the way I added the clips and merge them together. So 2 DV tapes, combined play by play to create movie.