1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trimming front and back Credits

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by brock114, Aug 22, 2003.

1. brock114

brock114 Member

Guys, how can I clip the beginning and the end of an .avi?
    I have tried virtualdub but can seem to get this to work.

Any help?

Thanks all!

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ok, Im not sure what the exact nature of your problem is but here is what you would normally do when cutting parts out of an avi with vdub.

After loading the movie, go into the video menu and make sure Direct Stream Copy is selsected. Hold down the shift key and drag the slider to the beginning of the clip you want to cut. (Holding the shift key ensures that you move in-between keyframes). When you find the part, press Home on your keyboard. After that repeat the above process and find the end part of the clip you want to cut, then press End on your keyboard. The undesired part will be highlighted in blue. Go to the edit menu and click delete selection.
    You will do the above steps twice. Once for the beginning of the movie that you wish to cut and again for, and im assuming that you mean the credits.
    Save the movie.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  3. brock114

brock114 Member

Thanks for all you advice Powerdup.
    One more question. After I cut the front and back off this movie, (To shorten it so it will fit on a CDR, file size is 720Mb before editing)I go to save new .avi and in seconds it is already BIGGER than the original uncut .avi???

What???

Help dude!

Thanks

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I think you might have forgotten to select Direct Stream Copy in the Video menu before you started cutting out the unwanted parts of your movie.

5. brock114

brock114 Member

PowerDup, the black circle is by direct stream copy??????

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Hmmm...Maybe Direct Stream Copy isnt selected in the audio menu, which it should be by default when you load a movie into vdub.

Here's a question, do you delete the beginning of the movie and then move on to the credits?

Could you try deleting the beginning part and then save the avi, then open the newly edited avi and delete the credits, then save the avi again?

7. brock114

brock114 Member

Thanks PD! You the man!
    That worked great.

Any other suggestions for squuezing a 730MB file onto a CD-R???

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Cutting out useless parts in the movie is probably the best method.
    Another method you can try is to reencode the audio file to a lower bitrate.
    If these methods arent enough to fit a movie into one cd then you can always reencode the avi, which i wouldnt recommend since you degrade quality.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You can always drop the audio bitrate by a notch. Should only take a couple minutes to do the re-encode. Worst comes to worst u can always drop the video bitrate or overburn